Pace: Intro and Study
Recordings, notes and application questions
Each week, we produce notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Our current series explores how we can build rhythms and disciplines into our daily lives that help us go deeper with God. Use the embedded players to listen to the talks, or click here to visit Soundcloud and download them on a PC.
- Philippians 3:12–16
- Psalm 1
Notes: Series Introduction
Life with Jesus is like a race:
We have been called to fix our eyes on the wonderful prize freely given to us…Jesus himself. Through Him we have: relationship with the Father, identity as children of God through union with the Son, and purpose as people empowered by the Holy Spirit to live to see God’s Kingdom come and will be done on earth as in heaven. The more we run after him, the more we enjoy the life he has for us.
Certain things can take our eyes off the prize: past success, being weighed down with guilt and shame, comparison to others, spectating so that we don’t see a role for ourselves. Instead, we’re to cultivate habits and practices that will sharpen our view of all we have in Jesus!
We are all in different seasons of life, often reflected by different seasons of reading the Bible in certain ways. In every season, the Word of God brings life and light, though at times we may feel confused in reading it.
Context: The bible is a collection of books, letters and poetry, written into particular contexts with a particular background. It is really important to understand these contexts in order to understand the Bible. Yet the Bible remains totally relevant to every culture and generation, since it is given to tell us who God is (revealed through Jesus) and what it means to be human.
The Bible brings us into freedom, reveals truth to us, enables us to understand our human emotions, teaches us how to pray. There is always more to discover within the Bible — it has so many layers of depth, revelation, wisdom and beauty — with one part bringing clarity to another.
- How are you running in pursuit of Jesus as your prize?
- Does Jesus seem incomparably desirable to you? How can you cultivate desire for Him as our supreme prize?
- Do you find yourself held back from things that take eyes off the prize? What are they? How can we help each other to lay such things down and fix our eyes on the prize freely given us?
- What habits and practices can help us press on towards the prize we have been freely given in Jesus?
- What do you think of when you think about the Bible?
- What is the Bible? How important is the Bible to you in your life? What has the Bible been given for? Who is it about? What should we expect from it?
- What tips and tools have you found helpful for studying the Bible?
- How can we help each other to grow in enjoyment and understanding of the Word of God?