Reading The Bible
A resource to equip and encourage you in your Bible Reading
The practice of reading the Bible allows us to understand more of who God is, who we are, what God’s plan is for the world, and the part we get to play. As we give ourselves to this practice, it will deepen our faith, transform our thinking, stir our hearts, impact our actions, and bring us joy! So, how do we build this practice into our day to day lives? This guide aims to do just that through three simple steps — the WHAT, the WHEN and the HOW.
You can pick up a hard copy of this resource at our church building on South Street, or download a printable PDF version by clicking here.
“Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart” — Psalm 119:111
What We Read
- GROUNDED: Seek to ground yourself in one book of the Bible at a time.
- DIET: Look to read a balance of the New Testament and Old Testament.
- PLANNED: Take advantage of Bible reading plans to get more of the whole picture of the Biblical story.
- VERSIONS: Explore different Bible translations through Bible apps to help deepen your understanding of what you are reading.
- TOOLS: Work through Commentaries and Bible Study Books to draw on wisdom from the church throughout history.
When We Read
- READ REGULARLY: Be realistic and intentional about setting aside time to read; planning it into the rhythm of your day.
- READ PRAYERFULLY: Invite God to be present as you read, asking the Holy Spirit to reveal truths to you.
- READ WIDELY: Sometimes read a larger amount in one sitting to get a sense of the bigger picture of the passage.
- READ CLOSELY: Sometimes read a smaller amount in one sitting to zero in on specific verses.
- READ MEDITATIVELY: Allow yourself time and space to ponder and reflect on what you have read.
How We Read
Ask yourself these questions as you work through the text:
- How does this relate to other things I’ve read in the Bible?
- What do I learn about God?
- What do I learn about people?
- What do I learn about the world?
- What will I do as a result of what I have read?
- Who will I share this with?