Part six of our ‘Wellbeing’ series
Jesus came to give us life to the full. But what does that look like, and how do we learn to live in it? Each week, we’re producing notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks from our ‘Wellbeing’ series — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Use the embedded player to listen to the talk, or click here to download it on a computer.
We are created with emotions, imaging a God who is emotional. Emotions are good and not to be feared. The key is interpreting, expressing and channelling our emotions in a healthy way.
- Psalm 42
- John 11
- Isaiah 53:3
- Matt 11:17–19
- John 10:10
- John 15:11
Thoughts, circumstances, relationships, information, physiology… all these things contribute to our emotional state. Understanding our complexity and the influences on our emotions is vital to processing those emotions in a healthy well. Jesus, the exact representation of God (Heb 1:3), experienced and expressed every kind of emotion, authenticating them. Yet, he was never ruled by those emotions. The Psalms give a great blueprint for how we, as finite and weak humans, can experience and express our emotions before a kind and compassionate God.
Emotional Health: being honest, expressing emotions, bringing them to God, trusting in His goodness, living in community, understanding relationship between mind/body/soul. Accept laughter, tears, words, silence, feasting, fasting, work, rest, sleep, exercise, time alone, time with others…
Emotional ill-health: pretending, bottling, exploding, hiding from God / community, misreading emotions and attaching unnecessary meanings to them, fleeing to idols for comfort, ignoring holistic nature of who we are, being ignorant to the influences on our emotional state.
- What struck you most from the talk on Sunday?
- What is your baseline emotional state? What factors most influence your emotions?
- How do you tend to process your emotions?
- What do you naturally believe God thinks about your emotions?
- How does Jesus model handling emotions to us? How is Jesus Himself an anchor for our emotions?
- Of what help are the Psalms to us in processing varied emotions?
- How does community help us live emotionally healthy?
About the World
- What common coping strategies for emotions do you see in the world?
- How can we bring Jesus’ Kingdom Culture to our everyday locations / activities?