Part five of our ‘Wellbeing’ series
Jesus came to give us life to the full. But what does that look like, and how do we learn to live in it? Each week, we’re producing notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks from our ‘Wellbeing’ series — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Use the embedded player to listen to the talk, or click here to download it to a computer.
God gave us our bodies and made no mistake when He made us. Our heart, soul, mind and body all make up who we are and are all important. What we do with our body matters as part of our worship to God.
- Romans 12:1–2
- 1 Corinthians 6:12–20
- 1 Timothy 4:8
Our bodies are a gift from God to enjoy and to offer back to Him in worship. Our culture has much to say about our bodies, either making them an object of worship or an object of scorn. This influences the messages of culture around body image, food, sex, exercise, alcohol, drugs, ageing etc
What we do with our bodies impacts upon the health of our minds, emotions, souls, relationships and general wellbeing. Throughout history, certain philosophies have sought to undermine the significance of what we do with our bodies as if spiritual and physical realms are distinct and unrelated (Gnostics).
However in taking on a body through the incarnation and raising it to glory through the resurrection, Jesus has firmly demonstrated God’s approval of the physical world that he declared to be good right at the beginning. Jesus is the pattern that we shall follow. He has been raised bodily, so will we (1 Corinthians 15).
Our bodies are instruments for worship to God, temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6). As such, how we handle our bodies is highly significant. Loving God with our bodies is a great adventure and a key anchor for wellbeing.
- What struck you from Sunday’s talk?
- Are you more inclined to worship the body or scorn it?
- Have you noticed the link between your physical wellbeing and your mind, emotions, soul, relationships?
- What do you find most challenging about looking after your body?
- God made you as you are and delights over you… of what comfort is that?
- How does understanding your body as a temple of the Spirit influence the way you see it?
- How does Jesus’ incarnation and resurrection shape the significance we attach to our bodies?
- What can we do to encourage each other to look after our bodies well?
About the World
- What will be our distinctive message to the world about our bodies? How can we communicate that in our everyday lives?