Part seven of our ‘Wellbeing’ series
Jesus came to give us life to the full. But what does that look like, and how do we learn to live in it? Each week, we’re producing notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks from our ‘Wellbeing’ series — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Use the embedded player to listen to the talk, or click here to download it on a PC.
God created us to enjoy and benefit from community. It is not good for us to be alone, since life is for sharing. Just as God is intrinsically relational (Father, Son and Spirit), so are those created in His image. Our wellbeing requires good relationships.
- Genesis 2:18
- 1 Corinthians 12:12–26
- Hebrews 10:25
Enjoying relationships images the very nature of God and so is vital to our wellbeing. Life is full of different relationships, each with a specific dynamic to them. They can be formed around shared interest, shared obligations, shared family line, shared passions, a particular need, a particular gifting etc. As such, some relationships are more replenishing than others — that’s ok, that’s normal, that’s important to clock. For life to remain sustainable and enjoyable, it is vital we commit our time and energy appropriately to the different relationships in our lives. It’s easier to see the most important relationships as the most flexible, thereby neglecting them at great cost.
As a church God has given us each other for mutual encouragement. We really need each other. We’re all very different and that is superb. Our different looks, interests, giftings, capacities, personalities, insights are to be enjoyed and honoured, not despised or rejected.
When life gets busy, relationships can get side lined to make space for ‘more productive things.’ Though this may be necessary for short seasons, it can be a false economy if we give up that which makes us most human in exchange for greater output. Wellbeing will get threatened.
- What struck you from Sunday’s talk?
- What are the key relationships in your life?
- Have you got a good balance of ‘giving out’, ‘receiving’ and ‘mutually beneficial’ relationships?
- How do you find maintaining relationships? Does busyness impeded? Are changes needed?
- How does knowing God as Trinity influence the importance you attach to relationships?
- Are you enjoying relationship with Him?
- Are you forming good relationships within Oasis? How are you seeking to heed the Hebrews call to ‘encourage one another’?
About the World
- Do you have unbelieving friends? How do you connect? How can you be ‘good news’ to them?