Part four of our ‘Wellbeing’ series
Jesus came to give us life to the full. But what does that look like, and how do we learn to live in it? Each week, we’re producing notes, discussion points and application questions for the Sunday talks from our ‘Wellbeing’ series — helping you go deeper into everything we’re looking at together and resourcing our Small Groups during the week. Use the embedded player to listen to the talk, or click here to download it to a computer (not available on mobile devices).
We are not left as orphans to try and make the best of life on our own. Rather, because of the gift of Jesus, we are united to Him by faith and have the Spirit of God dwell within us, enabling us to enjoy adoption as God’s children. Living in this truth changes everything for our spiritual wellbeing.
- Romans 8: 14–17
- Ephesians 1: 18–21
- Galatians 5: 22–23
The Spirit reveals our identity as God’s children. We so naturally fall into fear. However, the Spirit of God comes to live within us to free us from slavery to fear, replacing fear with the all satisfying love of God found in Jesus. By that Spirit we can cry out ‘Abba’ to almighty God and rest secure in Him as our dear, loving, attentive Father.
The Spirit empowers us with authority. The Spirit who lives in us propels us towards bold, courageous living. Such living is not out of effort but through the same power that raised Jesus from the dead.
The Spirit produces fruit within our lives. As we enjoy our identity as God’s children and embrace the power He provides to live for Him, we find ourselves becoming more like Him. The fruit of the spirit flows from a hearts warmed by Him and delighting in Him.
- What aspects of Sunday’s talk particularly spoke to you?
- How important is security in your identity to living a life of wellbeing?
- What does it mean to be a child of God and how can we enjoy that truth more fully?
- How would daily living this ‘spirit empowered life’ shape your thoughts, actions, decisions, conversations?
- Who is the Holy Spirit?
- What does the Holy Spirit desire to produce in us and how do we embrace this work?
- What role do we have in encouraging each other towards spirit-empowered living?
About the World
- How will spirit-empowered living effect the way you go about your job / your normal activities / your relationships / your parenting / your leisure?