NZ Techweek ’17 Highlights: I Want Growth
It was the first day of NZ Techweek ’17 and I was excited for the I WANT GROWTH event in Auckland. There’s nothing better than connecting with creative entrepreneurs, chatting about innovative ideas and learning new growth hacks in the process. It was a full house — plenty of pizza, beers and chats.
5 quick fixes to increase organic traffic.
- Using a secure https//: domain rather than an unsecure http//: can result in up to a 10% increase in traffic. Google is making this a standard while ranking the websites on their search engine.
- Review the metadata that appears on Google’s search results for your business. Make sure it’s attractive for your customer to click on. Using Google search console ( Previously known as Google Webmaster tools) will help to edit metadata.
3. Re-write the blog articles that aren’t performing well on your website. Revamping your content will trigger Google to reassess your article and could lead to better rankings.
4. Detailed, in-depth articles, that are well researched are ranked better by Google and will help attract better traffic to your website.
5. Yoast — a Wordpress plugin — will help you identify which parts of your articles need attention. It provides an analysis of each article for SEO and readability.
Tina Moore: Head of Social Media at NZME
Finding your audience on social media & Facebook hacks
- Clearly defining your target audience is critical in the world of social media. It might sound simple, but articulating a clear persona for each of your target audiences will make creating impactful ads much easier.
- For B2B customers, Linkedin can be an effective method of customer engagement. Using Linkedin you can connect with your potential customers. One of the most successful ways to use Linkedin is to join niche groups related to your business. This not only helps you connect with people and find potential customers, you can also message people within the group without adding them to your list. There are several other hacks. Read more tips here.
- Facebook Business Manager can be used to keep your personal account separate from your business account. Additional tools are only available through Business Manager, for example, Power Editor, Pixels and Automated Rules.
Nelson Shaw: Founder of Whey Cartel
Top 5 e-commerce hacks
- Hotjar is one of the most powerful applications to understand visually how your customers are using your website. It provides video recordings and heat maps from users on your site.
- Google Analytics will help you understand customer behaviour on your site — where traffic comes from, which pages are most frequently visited and the length of time customers spend on each page.
- Quora is a great place to connect with potential customers by giving them solutions to common questions related to your industry. This can lead to organic traffic flow back to your website.
- Social/Shareable content — Reddit is a great website to post content related to your product. There are 3 steps to posting on Reddit to ensure that your topic reaches your target audience:
- Research content on reddit by searching on the website under top posts.
- Then use subreddits to find relevant, popular keywords in the post that have been published. Using apps like Keyworddit will be helpful.
- Finally, find popular websites within the industry. This can be done by reading the recommendations when researching through the subreddits. Here are more tips on using Reddit for content marketing.
5. Google/Bing Promos —Both Google and Bing offer introductory promotional discounts — for example Google will give you $150 creidt when you spend a minimum of $150. Instead of using the more expensive keywords on Google AdWords, look for auxiliary, less competitive keywords. A good example of this is using the phrase nutritional calculator instead of nutrition.
Natalie Robinson: Founder of Mum’s Garage
5 tips to create a meaningful brand
- Understand the difference between the actual value of you product and the perceived value. Your product or service will be easier to sell if your customers feel that its value is higher than what they’re paying for it.
- Find your ‘Brand Muse’ —a company whose brand you hope to emulate. Happy Startup School is an example of a Brand muse for Mum’s Garage. Understand what they do to make their brand powerful. Steal the things they do well and apply them to your business. Also pay close attention to how customers react to their content on social media.
- Create a reality that people want to be a part of! It’s important to help your customer transform from their current reality to into their ideal reality.
- Always have a story behind your brand and a point of view that people can really care about. This will help you differentiate your brand from a sea of competition.
- Build your values and stand by them. In addition to your story, your brand values are one of the best ways to differentiate from your competition. It’s important to uphold these values in every path your business takes and every decision you make.
Jun Combridge, Momentum Marketing
- Choose the right platform. Each brand will have a medium that works best for their business. While looking to competitors can be helpful, testing is the best way to see what works for you. It might lead to some unexpected success. Once you find the best medium, double down and focus on it.
- Try influencer marketing. These are people with a large following on social media who have a similar audience to your target market. Relevant influencers can be found using hashtags that are related to your industry. Sometimes using 10 mid level influencers may be more cost effective than trying to get a single influencer with a massive following.
- Seek underpriced influencers. Finding influencers who have a decent following (around 10,000) but are still new in the market will be more cost effective than using more established one (around 100,000). A great hack for finding these people is by searching the list of followers of the most well known influencers in your industry. Most of these early stage influencers will also will be happy with a free product in exchange for promotion.
- Create a database of influencers. It’s important to build your own database of influencers. Reaching out to them creates a personal relationship and this is important for your brand.
Found this helpful? Kindly tap the ❤ button below.