On The Couch Publication Guidelines
Note to writers — Sorry OTC can’t accept new submissions currently. We’ve had a flood of stories and, as the lone editor, I need a holiday :)
I’ll review this on Feb 1, 2022. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed wonderful stories so far, you’ve helped grow OTC outgrow my plans for it! Hopefully we will open again to your work next year.
Best wishes for the holidays and 2022, Karen
On the Couch publishes short pieces under the category — practical psychology for everyday life. That means your story should fit under Medium tags including life, life lessons, self, self-improvement, psychology, mental health, relationships, love, work, family, creativity and inspiration. Business and entrepreneurial tags also considered.
Before you submit please check out the other stories in the publication because these demonstrate our preferred format, flavour and style. Talent and wonderful writing isn’t enough: Please don’t make us reject you because you haven’t followed the guidelines :)
On the Couch Guidelines.
- Fresh ideas and fresh spins on recognised concepts welcome!
- All stories 700–1000 words. Stories outside these word counts will not be considered.
- We like lots of white space — use paragraphs, breaks, quotes, etc
- Must offer practical tips. (e.g. listicles are fine)
- Quotes are good (but must be attributed accurately)
- Must be free of typos and spelling errors.
- Claims must be backed by either personal experience or research. (No unsubstantiated theories).
- Research must be from a reliable source.
- Must be a completed piece of work.
- Must use standard Medium formatting.
- Must add value to the reader in some way.
- Images must be appropriate and credited. No more than 2 per story.
- No undisclosed affiliate links.
- No duplicate stories or plagiarism.
- English language stories only please.
We also adhere to Medium’s rules and violations for curation.
Please read Medium’s Rules . and note violations pertaining to intolerance, prejudice and disempowerment, violence, suffering, shame, bullying and abuse of any kind.
- We do not offer editorial services. However if your story is selected for publications we reserve the right to make minor changes or briefly edit the work.
- No fiction or poetry, thanks.
Please submit your first story by email (email@example.com) and if we like your style we’ll add you as a writer. From there, you can submit drafts directly to OTC. We look forward to reading your work. Thank you!