Getting Better at Personal Branding
by avoiding some of the mistakes others have made.
Job security is not what it used to be.
Since the 2008 economic crisis, finding a stable job has become increasingly important to most people in developed countries. In their 2015 paper in the Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, Brandon Randolph-Seng and his co-authors assert, “individuals are most likely to balance their need for economic security in an imperfect economy by getting and keeping a stable job in an established organization.”
A crucial aspect of making it through companies’ hiring processes is your personal brand as a job-seeker — how you present yourself to the hiring panel and how they perceive you.
We have more tools in the digital era to shape our personal branding — LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. However, we need to get a lot better at using them to reach the positions we want.
Forbes Magazine recently published a video titled the “The Six Worst Ways to Brand Yourself.” I have included a modified version of the list below:
- Calling yourself a guru, mogul, maven or expressing a job change based on fear, which will not impress anyone.
- Zombie branding that uses dull, dusty, corporate-and-institutional language that you have learned at work.
- Branding yourself based on status symbols, like this: “Ivy League grad and alum of Apple, Google and Snap.” Are these the most significant thing about you?
- Calling yourself the best, top or the only something-or-other. This makes you appear amateurish and will not really help you.
- Listing all the things that you can do. You are more than what you are capable of doing. Think about what is truly significant about you.
- Calling yourself a Disruptor, a Change Agent, or a Catalyst. These clichés do not say anything useful about you.
For more tips on personal branding, check out the following resources:
- “The 5 Keys to Building a Social Media Strategy for Your Personal Brand” https://blog.bufferapp.com/social-media-strategy-personal-branding-tips
- “Why Personal Branding is the Most Important Thing You Can Do for Yourself [SSM005]” https://blog.bufferapp.com/dorie-clark-show-notes
- “Tips for Writing Your Best Bio” https://blog.about.me/2016/02/02/tips-for-writing-your-best-bio/
- “Is Your Reputation Hurting You Behind Your Back?” https://blog.about.me/2015/07/21/is-your-reputation-hurting-you-behind-your-back/
- “5 Tools to Help You Build Your Personal Brand” https://due.com/blog/5-tools-to-help-you-build-your-personal-brand/
Thank you for reading my article. Feel free to recommend it if you’ve enjoyed reading it. If you have questions, thoughts, or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to leave me a note or response by clicking on the speech bubble.