Diving deeper with the Orcanauts
As the Orcanauts swim closer to their launch date (less than a week away now!), it’s time to reveal more about our vision for the project and how to mint one.
For those new to our pod, Orcanauts are a collection of NFTs created for our loyal community here at Orca. An adorable work of generative art by Cori Huang, each of these 10,000 sea-dwelling critters is as unique as it is adorable, with traits of varying rarities (we’ll tell you how rare each trait is closer to launch 😉).
A first for the NFT world
While we’re very proud of Orcanauts as a standalone NFT project, our ambition for this aquatic adventure goes much further than that. We see this as an opportunity not only to deepen our engagement with our users, but to make a material impact on the real world.
While DeFi can “gamify” finance, as architects and early users of this new ecosystem we have a moral responsibility to promote and foster financial responsibility. And so in a first for Solana (to our knowledge), the Orca team will take no revenue from this NFT project.
Instead, 75% of the mint revenue from this NFT project will be used to develop a brand-new cryptocurrency education curriculum for youth across the globe, with the remaining 25% of the mint revenue going to the artist.
We’ll be revealing our nonprofit partner and why we picked them in a full deep-dive post in the coming days before launch. We’re incredibly excited about the mission of bringing crypto literacy to the masses, and we’re excited to offer you the chance to make history by taking part in it.
Two-phase mint process
The mint process will occur in two phases: Phase I will begin at 16:00 UTC on November 27th, when the first 2,000 Orcanauts will become mintable.
As the entire Orcanaut project was made with our community in mind, only Orca users will be able to mint during Phase I… and at a small discount!
To qualify as an Orca user and participate in Phase I, you must have made a swap and/or provided liquidity on Orca by 24:00 UTC on November 25th at the latest.
After this cut-off point, those wanting to mint an aquatic companion will need to do so in Phase II — so if you want to catch the first tide and haven’t used Orca yet, hurry and join the pod!
The mint will be opened up to non-users in Phase II, when the whale’s share of Orcanauts will be released into the wild. Phase II will begin at 24:00 UTC on November 27th. Save the date!
Perks of the Orcanautical Community
If you manage to nab a ‘naut, you’ll have an adorable companion to call your own — but that’s not all!
Members of the Orcanautical Community will become elite members of our pod, with access to a gated Discord channel where we’ll hold occasional community events, such as private AMAs with the Orca core pod, including co-founders Grace and Yutaro. With so many dedicated Orca users in tow, we expect that this community will be a rich source of alpha… for those lucky enough to be a part of it, that is!
And that’s not all. Once each season, the Orca team will commission a work of art featuring the Orcanauts using ideas and suggestions from the Orcanautical Community. If you’ve ever wanted to become a patron of the DeFi arts, this might be your chance!
We’ll be releasing more details about Orcanauts — including mint details, trait rarities, and the charity — in the coming days. Follow us on Twitter to get ahead of the wave 😉
For those chasing more Orcanaut lore, check out the latest episode of OrcaPod, where the talented creator behind Orcanauts Cori Huang reveals some of the secrets and inspiration behind these adorable creatures! 🐳
Disclaimer: The content of this communication is not financial advice and should not be relied on by any persons as financial advice. This communication has not been provided in consideration of any recipient’s financial needs. We have not conducted any financial assessment based on the personal circumstances of any recipients. All persons are encouraged to seek their own independent financial advice prior to taking any further action.