Weekly City Manager Update: March 6, 2023
City Manager Ed Shikada continues to share brief updates at each Council meeting, highlighting details about upcoming events, City services, and City Council discussions planned. His comments are summarized through our Palo Alto Connect blog series to catch up on City issues and gain the latest news.
Watch Ed share updates from the March 6, 2022 Council meeting.
Timestamped City Council Video: City Council Meeting — March 6, 2023
Sp. City Council Meeting - March 06, 2023
Members of the Public may provide public comments to teleconference meetings via email, teleconference, or by phone.1…
STATE OF THE CITY ADDRESS 2023
Save the date and join the Mayor for this year’s State of the City address on Wednesday, March 22 at 6 p.m. at the Palo Alto Art Center. A light reception will follow the Mayor’s State of the City address. If you are not able to attend in person, watch live via the City’s YouTube Channel or the recording once the event is concluded.
Learn more at www.cityofpaloalto.org/StateOfTheCity2023.
SHARE PUBLIC ART INPUT FOR BOULWARE PARK
UrbanRock Design is commissioned to create artwork for the Boulware Park and Birch Street Property Renovation Project. Meet the artists and share your input about Boulware Park and the Ventura Neighborhood as they begin their artwork design process. A community meeting will take place on Zoom Wednesday, March 8 at 5 p.m.
Learn more and register for the community meeting here.
SPRING 2023 ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMS
Resident registration for Spring 2023 Classes opens at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 9.
- New for youth: Youth can now register for World Cup Soccer Skill Clinics taught by World Cup Clinics Coaches.
- New for adults: Appreciate Chinese Art through Calligraphy with Zhihong Yang and Adult Ballroom Dancing with Kate Barnes.
View the full Spring Catalog at www.cityofpaloalto.org/enjoycatalog.
SAN FRANCISQUITO CREEK JPA BOARD MEETING
Join the San Francisquito Creek Joint Powers Authority Board meeting on March 9 at 3:30 p.m. for a Study Session on Reach 2: The Urban Reach 2 Project extends from East Bayshore Road to just upstream of the Pope Chaucer Bridge.
Staff and Project Partners will present an update including impacts of the New Year’s Eve storm and current status: project elements planning and design, permitting, access/easements, and funding. A neighborhood meeting will follow once a date is scheduled.
Meeting materials will be posted soon at www.sfcjpa.org/2023board-meetings.
AUTOMATED LICENSE PLATE RECOGNITION TECHNOLOGY INFORMATION SESSION
The Police Department presented initial information on the potential use of Automated License Plate Recognition (ALPR) technology last fall. Learn more and share feedback at a virtual information session on this Thursday, March 9 at 6 p.m. On April 3 Council will consider use of this technology to deter criminal activity and assist in criminal investigations.
Learn more and save the date at www.cityofpaloalto.org/PAPDalpr.
ASIAN AMERICANS, NATIVE HAWAIIANS, AND PACIFIC ISLANDERS LIVED EXPERIENCE SURVEY
Per City Council direction, the Human Relations Commission wishes to better understand the lived experience of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders (AANHPI) in Palo Alto.
- Participate in a short survey open to anyone who lives, works, visits, goes to school or worships in Palo Alto.
- Survey data will be presented to the City Council to help us better understand and serve the AANHPI community.
Take the survey at www.cityofpaloalto.org/AANHPISurvey by March 31.
NOTABLE TENTATIVE UPCOMING COUNCIL ITEMS
- Economic Development Study Session
- Prescreening for 2901–2905 Middlefield Road
- Parklets Discussion & Next Steps
- Community Engagement Study Session
- Council Procedures & Protocols
- Pets in Need Study Session
- Gas Utility Rebates
- Automated License Plate Recognition Technology
April 10 and beyond
- ADU Ordinance Changes
- S/CAP Update/Earth Day Report
- Housing Element Adoption
Find City Council meeting agendas, minutes, and videos at cityofpaloalto.org/councilagendas.
BE INFORMED & STAY CONNECTED
- Read past City Manager Weekly Updates at: CityofPaloAlto.org/CityManagerBlogSeries
- Gain emergency alerts and other updates: CityofPaloAlto.org/Connect
- Catch up on the latest City news through signing up for digital newsletters: CityofPaloAlto.org/newslettersignup
- Sign Up for Open Town Hall to share input through online surveys
- Attend events and meetings: CityofPaloAlto.org/Calendar
- View the City of Palo Alto Website: CityofPaloAlto.org
- Find City Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes: CityofPaloAlto.org/CouncilAgendas
- Search for Services Near You