WEEKLY CITY MANAGER UPDATES: MARCH 20, 2023
City Manager Ed Shikada continues to share brief updates at each Council meeting, highlighting details about upcoming events, City services, and City Council discussions planned. His comments are summarized through our Palo Alto Connect blog series to catch up on City issues and gain the latest news.
Watch Ed share updates from the March 20, 2022 Council meeting.
Timestamped City Council Video: City Council Meeting — March 20, 2023
Sp. City Council Meeting - March 20, 2023
Members of the Public may provide public comments to teleconference meetings via email, teleconference, or by phone.1…
STATE OF THE CITY ADDRESS 2023
Join the Mayor for this year’s State of the City address this Wednesday, March 22 at 6 p.m. at the Palo Alto Art Center Auditorium. A light reception will follow the Mayor’s State of the City address. You can also watch live via the City’s YouTube Channel or the recording once the event is concluded
For more details, visit www.cityofpaloalto.org/stateofthecity2023.
$24M LITIGATION PAYMENT PROPOSED TO REDUCE CUSTOMER ELECTRIC RATES
After several years of litigation with the federal government, specifically the Bureau of Reclamation, the City announced the anticipation of receiving approximately $24 million as part of Northern California Power Agency (NCPA) litigation. NCPA has been involved on an ongoing basis with the management of the City’s electric utilities.
The Finance Committee will consider recommendations at their March 21 meeting to use these funds to:
- reduce electric rates to customers by 5% starting July 1, 2023
- improve utilities reserves depleted during the drought and rate increases that were deferred through the pandemic
For more information, go here.
HOMEKEY PALO ALTO UPDATE ISSUED
The City and nonprofit partner LifeMoves have been working to redefine the Homekey Palo Alto project scope and construction timeline due to cost and supply chain issues.
A progress update has been issued:
- Construction timeline beginning in summer 2023 and completing Q1 of 2025
- Working to close capital funding gap of about $6 million
- Ways the community can contribute to the project
- Council will consider several actions in the coming months to make progress
A comprehensive report on unhoused services was also released as part of the City Council agenda packet.
For more information and details, go here.
CELEBRATE EARTH MONTH IN PALO ALTO
A community update shares events and tools available to residents looking to take climate action this April in celebration of Earth Day and Earth Month.
Save the date for events that the City is hosting or sponsoring:
- Re-Making the Future: Youth Sustainability Fair at Mitchell Park Community Center, April 15, 10 a.m. — 1 p.m.
- March & Rally for Climate Justice at Palo Alto City Hall King Plaza, April 21, 2–6:30 p.m.
On Earth Day: April 22
- Love our Earth Festival at Menlo Atherton High School, 11 a.m. — 4 p.m.
- Earth Day at Rinconada Library, 10 a.m. — 1 p.m.
Find these events and more ways to take local climate action here.
BREAKING WITH THE LAW
The City’s version of ‘Coffee with the Cops’ returns after a long hiatus throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. “Take a break” and have casual conversations with Police Department personnel on Thursday, March 23 between 9–11 a.m. at Coupa Café in Downtown on Ramona Street. Swing by at any point, ask questions, raise concerns, and connect with staff.
Save the date here.
NOTABLE TENTATIVE UPCOMING COUNCIL ITEMS
March 21 — Finance Committee
- Utilities Financial Plan
- Pets in Need Study Session
- Parklet Regulations Continued
- Residential Gas Utility Rebates
- Automated License Plate Recognition Technology
- Parks and Recreation Commission recommendation to dedicate 10-acre Measure E parkland site, adjacent to our Regional Water Quality Control Plant
- State and Federal Legislation
- Community Engagement Study Session
- ADU Ordinance Changes
- S/CAP Update/Earth Day Report
May and beyond
- FY 2024 Proposed Budget Adoption
- Safe Routes to School Annual Report
- FY23–24 CDBG Draft Annual Action Plan
- Housing Element Adoption
Find City Council meeting agendas, minutes, and videos at cityofpaloalto.org/councilagendas.
BE INFORMED & STAY CONNECTED
- Read past City Manager Weekly Updates at: CityofPaloAlto.org/CityManagerBlogSeries
- Gain emergency alerts and other updates: CityofPaloAlto.org/Connect
- Catch up on the latest City news through signing up for digital newsletters: CityofPaloAlto.org/newslettersignup
- Sign Up for Open Town Hall to share input through online surveys
- Attend events and meetings: CityofPaloAlto.org/Calendar
- View the City of Palo Alto Website: CityofPaloAlto.org
- Find City Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes: CityofPaloAlto.org/CouncilAgendas
- Search for Services Near You