Aion: Research articles on Blockchain Sync Algorithms and Networks, Syná wallet integration, More info on Rebuild Conference, Rumors on collaboration with Cardano
Biweekly update 27th February — 13th March
This is not financial advice.
During the last two weeks, Aion showed high activity in the media landscape. Research articles were published: “Blockchain Networks in 2019” by Yao Sun with a set of practical guideposts for choosing a smart contract platform and “Blockchain Sync Algorithms” by Alexandra Roatis, Kernel developer at Aion, on how incremental changes can have a substantial impact on network performance, the purpose of the article is primarily informative explaining the functionality behind how the Aion kernel synchronizes with the network. Last week Matt Spoke shared a video with updates regarding Pocket Network and Monster Chase, Java tooling updates, an update on the AVM, ARRT team public discourse as well as Showcases. He gave an interview to FLOSS podcast and attended TOKEN 2049 in Hong Kong. There were some rumors regarding future collaboration between Aion and Cardano based on Matthew’s meeting with Charles Hoskinson, CEO of Cardano, to discuss Interoperability. Aion Rebuild Conference, the second incarnation of the Aionex conference is coming in April, last week the team published a blog post with more information on it. There were several Weekly Community AMA on Aion official subreddit. Aion ecosystem continues to grow, Aion Connect is live, and there are a lot of projects build on Aion. However, there is a slight decrease in the number of token-holders and subscribers of Aion Telegram channels. And last, but not the least — Syná wallet library now supports Aion: A fully integrated product suite includes Android/iOS mobile applications and a Google Chrome plugin that supports AION and ATS tokens.
- Blockchain Sync Algorithms by Alexandra Roatis, Kernel developer at Aion with a research doctorate in data management:
How incremental changes can have a substantial impact on network performance.
The purpose of this article is primarily informative explaining the functionality behind how the Aion kernel synchronizes with the network. Emphasis is put on the enhancements introduced in version 0.3.2 which speed up the time in which a new node can catch up to the network by more than a factor of 6x.
Author’s secondary objective lies in the hope to illustrate how incremental changes can have a substantial impact on performance, and that it is important to not overlook optimizing existing functionality in favor of flashy equivocal features.
- Blockchain Networks in 2019 by Yao Sun:
A set of practical guideposts for choosing a smart contract platform.
What should a blockchain network entail in 2019? From whom are the requirements derived from and for what reason? Within the Aion Research and Roadmap Team (ARRT), the team firmly believes that the utility of the network is defined by how effective and usable it is to an end user, and to that end, they have progressed with their research using the following criteria as our guideposts:
- High Throughput
- Collusion Resistant
Aion team believes in these principles because they lead to a highly robust and usable system, a system capable of running classes of applications with greater complexity than what is available now. These are the ideas that drive many internal discussions with ARRT, and allow them to prioritize which metrics and criteria to optimize for in a multi-faceted system. In the coming weeks they will be publishing an article regarding sampling, and the requirements it drives on committees, in addition to more details on how they envision the roadmap and modus operandi of a blockchain foundation in 2019.
- See also Aion University with comprehensive guides and documentation to help you start developing with Aion as quickly as possible, as well as support if you get stuck.
- See Matt Update for the Month — March 1st: Video.
From Toronto, Aion Foundation founder Matt Spoke shares updates regarding Pocket Network and Monster Chase, Java tooling updates, an update on the AVM, Syná wallet integration, Rebuild Conference, ARRT team public discourse as well as Showcases.
- Interview with Matt Spoke on FLOSS Weekly 519 podcast: Video.
- Matt Spoke hosted SingularityU Canada webinar “Blockchains and their Impact on Social Governance” on February 27th, 2019. See full webinar video here.
- Kesem Frank attended Hong Kong Blockchain Week on (Interpretability panel) on March 4th-8th, 2019.
- BlockXLabs hosted UnblockX developer meetup — March 5th, 2019, Toronto.
- Matt Spoke as a speaker at TOKEN2049 in Hong Kong — March 13th-14th, 2019.
- Fifth-9 at Blockchain Technology World — March 12th-13th, 2019, London.
- Vault Wallet attending SXSW — March 8th-17th, 2019, Austin.
- Aviation Week Americas Conference — April 9th-11th, 2019.
- Matt Spoke is one of the speakers at the 2019 SingularityU Canada Summit — April 23rd-24th, 2019 — Edmonton Convention Centre, Edmonton.
- Aion Rebuild Conference, April 23rd-24th 2019, Toronto Reference Library: The second incarnation of the Aionex conference.
See also a blog post with details on the Conference:
There will be speakers from Aion, Web3, Ethereum, The Atlantic, Algorand, Bitcoin (core), Messari, IBM, The Former Privacy Commissioner of Ontario and more…
The 2019 Rebuild Conference is an event with presenters on both sides of one of the most important issues of our time — technology and its effects on society. You’ll hear from thought leaders, technologists, investors, journalist, authors and academia on a variety of topics centred around the internet, the problems it creates, and new advances in blockchain infrastructure aimed at solving them.
- BRI Blockchain Conference — April 24th-25th, 2019.
- Aion at Consensus 2019 NY — May 13th-15th, 2019.
Pocket Network is a decentralized solution for connecting any app with any blockchain, on any device, simply. For the AION network they delivered plugins for IOS and Android along with walkthrough videos and tutorials for education. Both teams are working to finalize a proof-of-concept IOS application “Monster Chase”, that will be fully functional and able to demonstrate the opportunity you have for mobile development with AION.
There is a slight decrease in the number of token-holders.
Aion Asset Profile by Messari
Right on target (Phase 1: Kilimanjaro 2018 Complete).
Phase 2: Denali
- Aion Virtual Machine (AVM) Version 1
This AVM is a custom-built, lightweight, performant, and stable VM that leverages key characteristics of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), providing concurrency and robustness within a blockchain-specific context. The AVM is responsible for running applications on top of Aion. The AVM will include its own scripting language.
- Aion Scripting Language
The Aion scripting language is used for writing chain logic that runs on Aion-Everest and potentially any connecting/participating network. The Aion language is compiled into AVM bytecode and executed by the AVM. The Aion language provides the following features: Defensive programming, Blockchain runtime environment, Blockchain context injection, Security.
- Proof-of-Intelligence Consensus Algorithm
An economic measure to deter denial of service attacks by requiring participants, solvers in Aion-Everest, to perform artificial intelligence (AI) computation. The intent is to motivate the creation of AI-specific or specialized hardware that could be used for machine learning and neural network training in the future.
Phase 3: Everest 2019
- Participating Network Bridging
The generic bridge protocol is designed to enable the atomic movement of value and data between heterogeneous networks. This will enable the development of cross-blockchain contract logic and free-floating token supplies.
- Complete Validator Nomination
The Hybrid DPoS / PoI consensus mechanism aims to achieve high performance while providing a fair and decentralized validator set. This is achieved through a token staking system and partly through a novel verification algorithm based on concepts used in modern neural networks called Proof-of- Intelligence.
- Aion Virtual Machine (AVM) Version 2
See also Aion roadmap release schedule (tentative):
Partnerships and team members
- Syná wallet library now supports Aion: A fully integrated product suite includes Android / iOS mobile applications and a Google Chrome plugin that supports AION and ATS tokens.
The THÉO Project announced the release of its cryptocurrency wallet library, Syná.
Syná offers consumers an easy to use and intuitive way to manage their digital identity and wealth.
The fully integrated product suite includes android / iOS mobile applications and a Google Chrome plugin, Syná+, all available for download. The THÉO Project will also soon launch Syná Desktop, an integrated desktop solution capable of cold storage interaction. Syná wallets offer both standard and advanced crypto tools taking into consideration multi-protocol usage when building the design interface.
By maintaining a clean user experience with a focus on simplicity rather than over bearing features, Syná will address some of the challenges the crypto space has seen to date. Syná+, the Google Chrome plugin, and the soon to be launched desktop wallet will offer easy management of users’ identities (private and public keys) to interact, per account, with different dApps — acting as a digital ‘passport’ to the crypto ecosystems of tomorrow.
- Mainnet Development Update: Launch of DEXs + New Native Tokens: WandX DEX on NEO, Wanchain and Aion will go live on the mainnet on March 19th, 2019. They are also releasing two new native coins for the DEXs on Wanchain and AION.
- MavenNet demo of bidirectional token bridge using AIWA: Video.
- MavenStamp external adapter (v1) for Chainlink released. For more information click here.
- VaultWallet speed tests its wallet.
- Aion’s Shanghai team launches Chaion. Chaion is team of blockchain engineers located accross China. Along with contributing to core development on the Aion blockchain, they also look to build decentralized applications on top of the network.
- Michael O’Rourke, Pocket Network CEO, talk about The potential of mobile dApps: Podcast.
Projects Building on Aion:
• Digital Liquidity Factory
• THÉO (theoproject.io) (with Syná wallets)
• Agora (beta.agora.theoproject.io)
• Spiro (centrys.io/enterprise)
See also Aion Connect.
- Matthew Spoke CEO of AION meeting with Charles Hoskinson CEO of Cardano to discuss Interoperability and future collaboration between both projects.
Matthew Spoke @MattSpoke (on March 12th, 2019):
Charles Hoskinson @IOHK_Charles (on March 12th, 2019):
- @Aion_Network (on March 9th, 2019):
- MOOGs VeriPart project moving to AION. James Allen Regenor (@JRegenor) on March 9th, 2019:
“My swap was quick, clean, and easy. Great demonstration of an at scale interoperability challenge to keep transparency and immunity as an asset moved chain (eth) to chain (aion). $aion is solving the 2 biggest challenges…interoperability and scale!”
- Crypto Fool @TheCryptoFool (on March 1st, 2019):
“$AION has 55 team members and didn’t raise anything close to some of these bigger projects that have 80–100+ team members and raised a massive amount of money.
Yet @Aion_Network was the first in the industry to publish two quarterly financial reports showing transparency.”
Active Reddit discussions:
Founding Company Continues to Dump Millions of Aion on /r/CryptoCurrency.
5 Best Upcoming Cryptocurrencies to Watch in 2019 on U.Today: including Aion.
3 great projects built on Aion at last week’s hack-a-thon on ETHUofT 2019:
- Patreaion — A decentralized, affordable, simpler Patreon
- ETH-Aion Atomic Swap — Efficiently and safely exchange Ethereum for Aion
- Proven I.T. — An Item Tracker dApp built on the AION Blockchain
Social media metrics
There is a slight decrease in the number of subscribers of Aion Telegram channels.
New Developer Subreddit — r/AIONgineering: 37 members on February 12th, 2019; 46 members on February 26th, 2019; 46 members on March 12th, 2019.
Twitter — Average number of retweets is 15–30 for one post. The number of followers has increased by 5 thousand over the last week.
Facebook — 10–15 likes per publication.
Reddit — threads with 2–10 comments. The community is quite active discussing latest news, development, mining, token price and possible partnerships.
The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of Aion Reddit subscribers, Twitter followers and Facebook likes. The information is taken from Coingecko.com.
@AionCommunity is the new unofficial community-run channel for humor, memes, and trading discussion.
Discord — active discussions on the latest updates and mining.
Aion forum — discussions on mining, news, network statistics etc. Popular topics:
- Missing coins to my wallet
- Aion Bridge Stats
- Aion bridge user experience
- Any way to suppress “WARN P2P [p2p-tcp]: tcp-connect-peer pass max-active-nodes”?
- 亚洲 Aion 采矿服务器 — Glorypool.io
- SmartMiner EOL, Author call switching to EWBF miner.
- Aion network statistics.
- Aion Beta Testnet Rewards.
- Aion Token Bridge — Alpha Version Megathread.
- How to — build CUDA-based aionminer on Ubuntu 16.04.
Global Telegram Channels:
- Korea — Kakao chat
- Russia — @AionNetworkRU
- Poland — @Aion_Poland
- Spanish — @AionNetworkES
- Kenya — @AionKenya
- Netherlands/Belgium — @AionBenelux
- India @Aion_India