BEAM: The first planned Hard Fork was successful, The new Beam Community Faucet, cooperation with Stellerro, the Clear Cathode 3.0, iOS and Clear Cathode 3.1.5765 — Release Notes
Biweekly update 2nd August — 16th August
Hey, beamer! Here you can find everything you wanted to know about the company’s last two weeks. As usual, BEAM has a lot to share with the world. The most crucial milestone they went through was the first planned Hard Fork. It occurred at block 321,321, and everything is working as expected. They are continuously monitoring the network. Besides, Clear Cathode 3.1.5765 is out; it is a maintenance release that mainly includes Swap with Qtum, bug fixes, and support for mobile restore. In the regular reports team BEAM features specific development enhancements from the recent period; the API to report node peers in Explorer-node was added, some improvements appeared in IOS and Android versions according to R&D updates. Clear Cathode, the iOS latest version was released with a lot of cool new features, including Restore Mode. Thus, you can now “migrate” your wallet from desktop to iPhone. The new Beam Community Faucet was introduced.
Excluding merges, 8 authors have pushed 3 commits to master and 48 commits to all branches. On master, 5 files have changed, and there have been 2369 additions. BEAM was extremely active socially — team members try their best to build strong relationships with the community. They participated in panel talks, arranged meetups and events; Alexander Zaidelson gave a brilliant speech at WeWork Yanping in Shanghai, on a great panel with Qtum, onedapp.io, Ontology, and sero.cash, the Official Meetup in Seoul with MakerDAO and the meetup in Chengdu were super successful. Moreover, BEAM will be a sponsor of the F2Pool Official Meetup in Moscow — find out more about upcoming events in our update. Beam will cooperate with Stellerro to productize the Confidential Assets issuance technology on Beam blockchain, offering best-in-class security token issuance and trading solution complete with full privacy of asset holding and transactions. Stellerro will offer its customers to launch their security token offerings on Beam blockchain infrastructure, and invest in marketing and distribution of the security token offering.
More and more articles from international fans and beamers were posted — check them out. The BEAM-driven loyal group of people keeps growing. Consequently, there is a slight increase in the number of subscribers in social networks. Watch BEAM glow with Paradigm!
The first planned BEAM Hard Fork was successful. The fork occured at block 321,321 and everything is working as expected. They are continuously monitoring the network.
- They have rolled-out the Website versions in Spanish and Swedish! More languages are coming soon.
- Beam — 2019 Week #31 — Asian Week, Covering July 29th — August 4th, 2019
- [Desktop wallet] Add wallet version on the loading screen #789
- [Desktop and Mobile] Implement node-less restore process #585
- [Desktop] Settings screen: UI controls are horizontally scrolled #775
- [Desktop] Move UI for Send/Receive screens to separate components #758
- [iOS] UTXO details screen improvements #242
- [iOS] Restore Wallet (automatic) #6
- [iOS] Restore Wallet (manual) #236
- [iOS] Transaction details screen improvements #243
- [iOS] Send/receive screens improvements #234
- [iOS] UTXO screen redesign #226
- [Android] Scan QR from Gallery #261
- [Android] Calculate change UTXO before send transaction #245
- [Android] On “Receive” screen, the generated address should be copiable at a long tap #266
- [Android] Review buttons positions on login/restore screens #235
- [Android] Password request after send confirmation screen #262
- [Android] Transaction search #233
- Excluding merges, 8 authors have pushed 10 commits to master and 50 commits to all branches. On master, 35 files have changed and there have been 2828 additions
- Clear Cathode, iOS latest version is here! A lot of super cool new features, including Restore Mode. You can now “migrate” your wallet from desktop to Iphone.
- IMPORTANT: Please upgrade to this version to keep using your funds after the hard fork (which will happen around August 15th, 2019)
- It is recommended that each device wallet will have its own seed phrase
- Release Notes
- All devices running iOS 11.0 and higher
- Any wallet with a seed phrase can be RESTORED on mobile (no need to switch to desktop to restore your funds anymore)
- Addresses, UTXO, and Main app screens were redesigned to bring all the info in a better structured and more eye-pleasing way
- Many tags (e.g: categories) can be assigned to a single address now
- Transaction details can be shared in a nice receipt-like way (no need to make screenshots anymore)
- QR code can also be read from the photos, saved in a Library
- The wallet can now “speak” in multiple languages besides English
- “x” button is shown in some text fields to clean their value faster before typing something new
- On “Receive” and “Send” screens the address is copiable with a single long tap
- Numerous usability and stability fixes, they won’t consume your time here, please check GitHub if you want to know more
- In case of a mobile wallet is connected to a random node, and a user has both mobile and desktop wallets, using the same seed phrase, the funds sent to the desktop wallet won’t appear on the mobile wallet. If the desktop wallet is running a local node, it shows funds sent to both wallets. The reason is that the local node (integrated into the desktop wallet) always monitors the blockchain for UTXOs related to the seed of the wallet. The mobile wallet does not run a local node and thus can only monitor transactions sent to its specific SBBS addresses. Of course, no funds will be lost in any event.
- When restoring your funds in automatic mode, verify that your most recent transaction (from any device) was completed at least 1 hour ago. Otherwise, your restored balance may be incorrect and additional restore procedure will be required
- When restoring your funds with your specific node, verify that the node is fully synchronized with the blockchain before starting the restore procedure. Otherwise, your restored balance may be incorrect and additional restore procedure will be required
- When sending beams from mobile to desktop wallet, the QR code scanning works from desktop wallet version 2.0
- If multiple wallets are restored from the same seed phrase, transaction history and addresses will not be shared among the wallets
- Check out the new Beam Community Faucet — get 95 Groth to experience BEAM.
- Here is Beam latest release with AtomicSwap with Qtum, support for mobile restore and many more features and improvements.
- This is a maintenance release that mainly includes Swap with Qtum, bug fixes and support for mobile restore.
- Release notes
- [cli wallet] Atomic swap with QTUM is supported
- [cli wallet] Address expiration is supported
- [node] Implemented support for mobile restore
- [desktop wallet] Wallet version is shown on the loading screen
- [desktop wallet, cli wallet] After some wallet upgrades the local wallet password was not recognized
- [desktop wallet] Better error handling when failing to connect to a specific remote node
- [desktop wallet] Fixed crash that occurred when a user tried to cancel ongoing restore process
- [desktop wallet] Fixed crash that occurred when a user specified an incorrect port of the node and closed the wallet
- [desktop wallet] Fixed crash when a wallet was closed after generating new address on Receive screen
- [desktop wallet] Fixed crash after canceling a transaction and closing window
For more details please see here
- Inconsistent transaction statuses when running two or more wallets that use the same wallet.db file cloned manually
- If multiple wallets are restored from the same seed phrase, transaction history and addresses will not be shared among the wallets
Points to mention
- In case a mobile wallet is connected to a random node and the user has both mobile and desktop wallets which are using the same seed phrase, the funds sent to the desktop wallet won’t appear on the mobile wallet. If the desktop wallet is running a local node, it will see funds sent to both wallets. The reason is that the local node (integrated into the desktop wallet) always monitors the blockchain for UTXOs related to the seed of the wallet. The mobile wallet does not run a local node and thus can only monitor transactions sent to its specific SBBS addresses. Of course, no funds will be lost in any event.
Verifying release binaries
PGP key: “A6C6 2C9F 5593 1860 AFF8 3BBB 997E AB9F 3DF7 F375”
- Go to https://keybase.io/beammw and get the Public PGP key.
- Download the signed binary file (with extension .asc) you want to verify.
- Verify the signature using PGP Suite or any other PGP verification tools
- They have released the latest version of Beam Wallet iOS — Clear Cathode 3.0
- [Explorer-node] Add API to report node peers #799
- [GUI Wallet] “System time is not synchronized” error is shown after Computer wakes up after sleep/hibernation #798
- [Desktop Wallet] In progress panel — support for swap currencies #792
- [Desktop Wallet] Loading bar issue #790
- [Android Wallet] Beam sending screen — user interface changes #292
- [Android Wallet] Remove “Save address” alert on sending screen #288
- [iOS Wallet] Fix buttons position on login screen #262
- [iOS Wallet] Restore wallet on password screen #259
- Excluding merges, 8 authors have pushed 3 commits to master and 48 commits to all branches. On master, 5 files have changed and there have been 2369 additions
- BEAM China Ambassador Jinping Gao welcoming the crowd at the meetup in Chengdu.
- Alexander Zaidelson was honored to present Beam and talk about privacy at WeWork Yanping in Shanghai, on a great panel with Qtum, onedapp.io, Ontology and sero.cash.
- Beam Android Wallet 3.0 | a video by Raskul
- Bitcoin Ethereum Raven Beam -GPU Mining Rigs Update -Settings Hashrates Pools Profit | a video by Dave Tech CA
- Etude des protocoles utilisés dans les cryptomonnaies anonymes | a story in French by Le Journal du Coin
- Comment miner du Beam Coin ? | a video in French by Mr TK
- La Nueva Edicion Del Congreso Blockchain De Motril Da Sus Primeros Pasos en Londres | a story in Spanish by Motril Digital
- Working with wallets with the same seed phrase on multiple devices? This is what do you need to know.
- DO NOT SIMULTANEOUSLY RUN TWO WALLETS INITIATED FROM THE SAME SEED PHRASE. No funds will be lost in any case, please keep reading for details.
- If you really want to run two wallets (read: geek mode), initiated from the same seed phrase, make sure each wallet is connected to the node configured with the owner key (which is derived from the seed phrase). The related configuration process is beyond the scope of this article.
- Even if two wallets are connected with such a node which is properly configured with the owner key, the transaction history will not be syncronized among them (each wallet will see the correct balance but only its own transaction history).
- Restore from Seed Phrase is now available on iOS. Check out the latest release here
- All you need to know, and never asked about working with wallets with the same seed phrase on multiple devices. TLDR: Don’t do it!
- Team Beam was in Asia, meeting the community in Chengdu and Shanghai (China) and in Seoul (South Korea)sponsor the F2Pool Official Meetup in Moscow — Aug. 24th, 2019
- Are Bitcoin Mixers Going Quiet? | a story by Crypto Briefing
- Beam’in ilk hard fork duyurusu | a story in Turkish by Beam Turkey
- Qu’est-ce que Mimblewimble ? | a story in French by Le Journal du Coin
- Биткоин-миксеры теряют популярность? | a story in Russian by Happy Coin
- How Zcoin’s Privacy Technology Compares to the Competition | a story in English by Crypto Freak Network
- Beam — Telegram AMA with Gain Associates | a transcript by Gains Associates
- Кто лучше? Криптовалюты Grin VS Beam | a video in Russian by Crypto Dealers
- Buy Web Hosting Using BEAM | a story by Host Mayo
- Конфиденциальность в блокчейне: кому и зачем нужны анонимные криптовалюты | a story in Russian by Forklog
- Beam project scalable Confidential cryptocurrencies 해리포터 밈블윔블(Mimblewimble)로 유명한 익명성 프로젝트 빔 | a video by 튼살침흉터침
- Another great guide from @voskcoin less than 24 hours after the fork. This mining tutorial will show the best ways to mine Beam coin with Nvidia and AMD GPUs on Windows and Linux (smOS).
- 2nd Beam Meetup in Seoul, South Korea, August 6th, 2019
- Proof of Moin Hackathon Hamburg, September 6–8th, 2019
- F2Pool Official Meetup, Moscow, August 24th, 2019
- D&DD, Tel Aviv, September 10th, 2019
- Scaling Bitcoin Tel Aviv, Israel, September 11–12th 2019
- Beam Official Meetup, Tel Aviv, Israel, September 10th 2019 (to be confirmed)
- San Francisco Blockchain Week, USA, October 28th — November 3rd 2019
- Beam Official Meetup, San Francisco, USA, November 2nd 2019 — (to be confirmed)
- Genesis DevCon 2019 — Bangalore, India, November 23–24th 2019 (to be confirmed)
- Beam Official Meetup — Bangalore, India, November 24th 2019
- According to this post:
- Beam Core
The goal for 2019 is to create a vibrant ecosystem around Beam currency, offer better usability, increase adoption, and integrate Beam into global crypto payment infrastructures. They divided the upcoming work on Beam Core into five major blocks, each named using Physics-related terminology. Each block will comprise several software releases, not necessarily one major software upgrade.
2. Agile Atom
Agile Atom release focuses on completing the ecosystem APIs and documentation, and they expect it to be finished in February..
3. Bright Boson
Beam BB release was finished by end of March 2019 and will contain the following scope:
Atomic Swaps with Bitcoin -
Users will be able to perform atomic swaps — BTC<>BEAM and BEAM<>BTC — without the need for a third party
Hardware Wallet Integration
Mimblewimble works very differently from the other cryptocurrency protocols, and creating a hardware wallet will require some non-trivial work. They plan to release hardware wallet support as part of Bright Boson
Over 80% of mobile phones run Android. The Mobile Wallet will be released for Beta testing in February and will be ready for use before the end of March
A Proof-of-Concept implementation showing opening and closing Lightning channels on Beam testnet will be demonstrated (came to life)
Payment Platforms Integration
Work towards integration Beam with BTCPay and possibly other services so that merchants can easily accept payments in Beam
4. Double Doppler
The DD release will be developed in Q3 of 2019. The scope of Double Doppler includes the following:
Research of alternative consensus
They will research new consensus mechanism to possibly supplant Nakamoto consensus. GhostDAG is one of the very promising alternatives
- To increase adoption and let people run Beam node and wallet on more platforms, such as Rust
- Enhanced Wallet Security
- View-only, receive-only and limited usage wallets
- Beta-version of Lightning on Mainnet
5. Eager Electron
EE is planned to be the last release of 2019 for Beam. It will contain the following major features:
Second change of PoW algorithm
- That will be the last PoW change for Beam
- To improve privacy, They plan to make it possible to run Beam nodes and wallets on Tor and I2P networks
- Boneh-Lynn-Schaham (BLS) signatures are more compact than Schnorr and allow for simple multisig implementation
6. Beam Compliance
It is their deep belief that any transfer and holding of value requires confidentiality. Confidentiality is needed for crypto coins, stable coins, utility tokens, tokenized securities, even for crypto kitties. The plan is to enable the issue of additional Beam Assets (or bAssets) on their blockchain.
To enable wide adoption, they will work in two directions:
- Bridges to Bitcoin, Ethereum and eventually other blockchains. Such Bridge will allow locking an asset on Ethereum and issuing a matching bAsset on Beam. The bAsset can then be traded between Beam wallets in full confidentiality
- bAsset Issuer, allowing a 3rd party to issue their own tokens on Beam blockchain. Such a token can represent any kind of value and have associated rules that will be enforced by the issuance server
- Gate.io tweeted “Due to the Beam wallet upgrade, the deposit and withdrawal services of Beam will be suspended temporarily. Deposits made before the suspension will be automatically completed after the upgrade.”
- BEAM is now the most profitable coin to mine on GPU’s.
Partnerships and team members
- Beam and Stellerro to cooperate and solve Traditional IPO Challenges Using Digital Securities. Beam will cooperate with Stellerro to productize the Confidential Assets issuance technology on Beam blockchain, offering best-in-class security token issuance and trading solution complete with full privacy of asset holding and transactions. Stellerro will offer its customers to launch their security token offerings on Beam blockchain infrastructure, and invest in marketing and distribution of the security token offering.
Every week new businesses are accepting Beam as a Payment Method. Here is the list of this week’s newcomers:
- Natural 8
- Shop Cryptoish
- Dimitris Dimitriou Accountant
- Spheroid Universe
- Borderless VPN
- Luk & Style
- Crypto Chips
- Internet Superstore
- NiceHash Miner 184.108.40.206 with support for BeamV2 is now available for download!
- Kudos to BEAM friends from pool2minersn for these illustrations of Hard Fork!
- Now $Beam Is taking # 11 in the world on GitHub among all cryptocurrencies and and overtook TRON.
Social media metrics
The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of BEAM Facebook likes, Reddit subscribers and Twitter followers. The information is taken from BEAM coingecko.com.