ICONLOOP Chief Communication Officer Josh Choi recently contributed an op-ed to the Korean-language financial news weekly Daehan Financial Newspaper where he talked about recently taken first steps in the blockchain space to build a digital ID ecosystem.
More to follow!
RHIZOME announced ICON CORE, a developer-focused portal and toolset designed to improve the process of onboarding developers on the ICON blockchain. To create ICON CORE, RHIZOME will be collaborating with fellow P-Reps UBIK Capital, ICONation, and Sharpn.
The use case is clear. Imagine you are a Swift developer who is interested in developing on the ICON blockchain. You see a Python-based tutorial, but can’t find the equivalent material written for Swift. At this point, you may choose to either learn a little Python, or move on to another task. With ICON CORE, the goal is to remove the potential for friction in the learning process, and to make development on ICON more accessible for developers of all backgrounds.
This multi-team collaboration will provide developers with a more pleasant and efficient experience building on the ICON blockchain.
ICON P-Reps News
- How to setup an ICON P-Rep
- INSIGHT: THE INFRASTRUCTURE EXPERTS KEEN ON GROWING ICON BY HELPING DEVELOPERS AND P-REPS
- How to Stake ICX with the ICONex Mobile Wallet
- SOMESING GOES LIVE WITH 21K TRANSACTIONS ON DAY 1
- Incentive Alignment for the Sustainable Decentralization of ICON.
Paradigm Fund has issued new reports on the following cryptonetworks:
- CARDANO: Incentivized Testnet Snapshot happened
- KOMODO: Stress test complete
- Crypto Regulation Digest
- AMBROSUS: Development Roadmap Update November 2019 — February 2020
- COSMOS: A recap of SFBW19, IBC Demo is available, Community-driven testnet for Cosmos Hub-3 upgrade, Chain Reaction episodes
- ENIGMA: Protocol Development Update and Code audit is underway
- AETERNITY: Governance Æpp Launch, Wællet update, Tech & Ecosystem News, The Naming System Is Now Available, The Migration Tool, New Starfleeters
- BEAM: Atomic Swap On Testnet, Double Doppler 4.0, Progress On The Web Wallet, Why “Breaking Mimblewimble’s Privacy Model” Will Not Work With Beam
- THETA: Live Network Statistics, The community is looking forward to Theta Mainnet 2.0
- TEZOS: The Carthage Proposal & the Carthagenet Test Network, The First Version Of A Baker Registry Contract, A Partnership With Tribe Accelerator And RF International Holdings, Nautilus Cloud
- IOST: IOST partners with Fujimi Town to deploy blockchain in the Japanese energy market and Newpool to Support Mining on IOST
- ORBS: Staking Scheme Research Complete, The GBBC’s ‘Demo Day on the Hill’, New Reputation Feature, Stress & Endurance Testing Suite, New Demos And Status pages, New Developers
- CHAINLINK: Chainlink Community Advocate Program launch, Secure Data Links as a Chainlink Reviewed Oracle and Partnership with Ontology
- ETHEREUM: Ecosystem and projects’ updates, opinion and research articles. Istanbul is coming on Dec 7. Eth2 updates. MCD is live. EF call for grant applications. Vitalik on hard problems in crypto
ICONLOOP Chief Communication Officer Josh Choi recently contributed an op-ed to the Korean-language financial news weekly Daehan Financial Newspaper.
In it, he talks about recently taken first steps in the blockchain space to build a digital ID ecosystem.
He notes that Korea is quickly becoming a digital economy society. As this happens, trust between economic entities will by necessity grow ever more important.
Choi says the starting point of building a basis of trust in a digital economy society could be the secure verification of identities between economic entities. He explains that in a digital economy society, a variety of ID certificates besides the official ones recognized by the state will come into use to describe economic entities, including certificates that prove you are an employee of a certain company, or a student at a certain school, or a member of a certain club, or the parent of a certain student or an expatriate living in a certain country.
Accordingly, it will be more important than ever to build a higher level of mutual trust.
Choi says in this context we can understand the recent intense interest in digital IDs and the rush of companies into the ID market. In particular, he hopes that blockchain-based digital ID platforms — such as ICONLOOP’s “MyID” solution — could become an indispensable gateway to the digital economy society by re-interpreting existing ID systems and presenting a new paradigm.
He says that MyID’s greatest strength is that it has secured a basis to quickly expand and be applied to many fields, including the public sector, e-commerce, the Internet, manufacturing, NGOs and overseas entities on the basis of technical strength and trust proven in the financial sector, a sector — with its banks, securities firms and insurance companies — that demands the highest level of ID verification.
Choi says this is possible because the service’s designation by the Financial Supervisory Service as an innovative financial service has provided it a regulatory base, enabling it to be applied across all financial services in a way that rival services cannot match.
Choi says the MyID Alliance, with its roughly 40 companies and bodies, has established a partner network a class apart from competing groups by integrating partners in sectors other than finance. In particular, the alliance has provided a basis for building a network with local and overseas startups in which technology startups — which are expected to play a leading role in the Fourth Industrial Revolution — can take part.
He says that even after the regulatory sandbox comes to an end, he hopes that MyID can quickly expand and be applied to various fields, even overseas, based on its early seizing of the market and on technology and trust proven in the financial sector.
Choi said the government has recently started adding impetus to the mobile ID age, and that an age of limitless competition has begun in the financial sector due to the open banking policy. Within the blockchain-based ID sector, too, intense competition has already begun between the MyID Alliance, the Mobile ID Consortium led by Korea’s big three telecom companies and the Korea Financial Telecommunications and Clearings Institute’s DID Alliance.
He concludes that in these days of dynamic and dizzying transformation and innovation, he hopes the MyID Alliance will faithfully play its role in building a trustworthy digital ID ecosystem that can substantively resolve the inconveniences and difficulties suffered by users and realize a digital economy society.
The National Assembly subcommittee has finally passed revision, an important turning point towards legalizing crypto.
Your physical ID card could become a thing of the past and ICONLOOP’s MyID Alliance is aiming to make this a reality. ICON is targeting South Korea, a clear well-defined market that is one of the most technologically innovative and crypto-friendly markets in the world.
Read @iconosphereprep’s latest article on the concept of ‘Circular Economy’ and how ICX can be “recycled” back into the ecosystem to get maximum value.
There has been a lot of debate around IISS and i_rep Economics in @helloiconworld these past weeks. This article provides an explanation of what is i_rep, its impact on the network, and the consequences of modifying it.
ICON Development Roadmap Details
Updates to ICON technology roadmap:
- Block Version 0.3 — Improving block structure to support BTP (Completed)
- Role Switch — Switching the role between Main P-Rep and Sub P-Rep (Completed)
- P-Rep Tools — Command line interface to register P-Rep and submit governance variable (Completed)
- Network Proposal — On-chain governance system in which Representatives can submit proposals and vote (Completed)
- BTP — Interchain PoC for ICON-Private Chain (Stabilization)
- DB integration — Integrating block and state database for better management and fault tolerance (Research)
- P2P Network enhancement — Performance of underlying P2P network platform (Research)
- LFT2 — Enhancing the consensus algorithm for more liveness (Research)
Partnerships and team members
Social media metrics
The charts above illustrate a slight decline in the number of Telegram and Twitter followers. In general, the ICON foundation experiences an average level of social activity.
The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of ICON Reddit subscribers, Twitter followers, and Facebook likes. The information is taken from Coingecko.com.
Official channels of P-Reps:
RHIZOME (ICON P-Rep Candidate. Focused on creating and marketing content about the ICON ecosystem).
Insight ICON (Insight’s Distributed Consensus Lab is building automated node deployments, advanced analysis techniques, and distributed applications for the ICON Blockchain)
POS Bakerz (a blockchain infrastructure service and node operator for different Proof-of-Stake blockchains).
block42 Blockchain Company (Unlocking blockchain technology for organizations).
Blockchain@Berkeley (focus on education, R&D, and consulting)
Gilga Capital (Blockchain Venture Capital and Accelerator)
Chainode Capital (Blockchain consultancy and validator services)