Theta: Pre-Guardian Node program continues to grow with more than 800 verified nodes and 98 million total THETA in PGN client, The Theta web wallet Ledger and Trezor integrations, Theta CTO Jieyi Long at IEEE Blockchain conference in Seoul
Biweekly update 9th May — 23rd May
Theta Pre-Guardian Node program continues to grow! For those who aren’t familiar, the PGN is an early preview of Guardian Nodes, the 2nd layer of nodes in Theta’s multi-BFT consensus mechanism. Since April 22nd, 2019: the number of verified nodes increased from 662 to 814 and total THETA in PGN client from 80,200,527 to 98,017,413! The program is off to a great start! And you can now check out the latest updates on TFUEL integration with SLIVER.tv at the new TFUEL streaming roadmap — this will continue to be updated as new features are completed and added to roadmap. The Theta web wallet now allows you to access your mainnet THETA + TFUEL on both Nano Ledger and Trezor devices. As for social encounters, the final version of “Scalable BFT Consensus Mechanism Through Aggregated Signature Gossip” paper by Theta CTO Jieyi Long and lead developer Ribao Wei was presented by the team at the IEEE Intl. Conference on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency in Seoul. Theta community continues to grow. There are a constant slight grows in the number of token holders and subscribers of Theta social media channels. NASA’s events are streaming on Sliver.tv. Network statistics constantly shows impressive numbers. The project gains ground. Stay tuned!
THETA has 8 public repositories and 15 private repositories. Overall, the Project has frequent commits to the collection of repositories.
Since April 22nd, 2019:
Verified nodes increased from 662 to 814
Total THETA in PGN client from 80,200,527 to 98,017,413
For information on Theta Guardian Nodes and how to join, see their announcement blog.
The first TFUEL distributions for the Pre-Guardian Node program went out on May 6th, 2019.
For more info on PGN, check out Theta Labs previous blog posts.
Check out the latest updates on TFUEL integration with SLIVER.tv at the new TFUEL streaming roadmap — this will continue to be updated as new features are completed and added to roadmap.
The Theta web wallet now allows you to access your mainnet THETA + TFUEL on both Nano Ledger and Trezor devices!
Note: Ledger access uses the Ledger Ethereum app to interact with Theta blockchain. This is intended, and will work for mainnet Theta tokens
May 16th, 2019: Theta CTO Jieyi Long presented his white paper Scalable BFT Consensus Mechanism Through Aggregated Signature Gossip at the IEEE Intl. Conference on Blockchain & Cryptocurrency in Seoul, South Korea.
Read more on “Scalable BFT Consensus Mechanism Through Aggregated Signature Gossip” by Theta CTO Jieyi Long and lead developer Ribao Wei here. In this paper, they present a new BFT consensus mechanism which enables thousands of nodes to participate in the consensus process, and supports very high transaction throughput. This is achieved via an aggregated signature gossip protocol which can significantly reduce the messaging complexity and thus allows a large number of nodes to reach consensus quickly. The proposed aggregated signature gossip protocol leverages a non-interactive leaderless BLS signature aggregation scheme. The authors have proven the correctness of the protocol, and analyzed its efficiency. In their analysis, each node only needs to send and receive O(logn) messages to reach agreement, where each message just contains a couple kilobytes of data.
The team will be doing monthly live AMAs going forward, and you can vote for who you’d like to see next from Theta team here.
Information from Coingecko.com (May 23rd, 2019):
Sliver.tv statistics (May 23rd, 2019):
The information is taken from Similarweb.com.
- Beta release universal edge cacher client
- Launch 3rd party Validator partner program
- Enhance Mesh Streaming Network scalability
- Enhance Blockchain scalability
- Launch Developer tools for Theta mainnet integration
- Beta release Android mobile SDK integration with initial partners
- Launch support for video on demand (VoD) in Theta Mesh Streaming Network
- Launch guardian node functionality and onboard initial group of community-run guardian nodes
- Beta release support for Android-based set-top boxes and smart TVs
- Introduce guardian nodes into the validator node set on rotating basis
- Launch smart contract support
- Expand Theta content delivery beyond video to support all forms of data (e.g. file updates, game patches, video ads, audio/music, etc)
Partnerships and team members
- @Theta_Network on May 17th, 2019 on Asian week in blockchain, May 11th — 17th, 2019: “South Korean tech giant Samsung has reportedly partnered with several blockchain and investment startups to close a funding round for a blockchain-based video streaming platform. Theta Labs has joined Samsung NEXT and crypto wallet provider Blockchain for the endeavor.”
- SLIVER.tv @SLIVERtv360 on May 15th, 2019:
- Samsung NEXT And Blockchain Lead Funding Round For Blockchain-Based Streaming Video Network on Forbes.com
- Be aware of scammers! Admins of Official Theta Telegram chat will never DM you or ask for private info / keys / seed phrases!
Social media metrics
Theta community continues to grow. There is a slight increase in the number of subscribers of Theta social media channels these weeks.
Official Telegram group — Discussions on testnet, price, possible partnerships, etc.
Facebook — 15–25 likes per publication, 1–5 shares.
Twitter — Average number of retweets is 35–40 for one post.
Bitcointalk.org — since November 23rd, 2017. Discussion on mainnet launch, price, roadmap. Last publication — on May 18th, 2019.
There is a slight growth in Theta community over time. The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of Theta Reddit subscribers, Twitter followers and Facebook likes. The information is taken from Coingecko.com.