Aragon: Aracon announcement, Aragon’s non-DAO smart organisations and accounts
Biweekly update 25th September — 9th October
Should templates be apps? by Pierre Bertet (UI & Interaction Developer).
Smart accounts using aragonOS by Luis Cuende (CEO at Aragon One).
Development update (from Aragon chat, 25th September — 9th October):
@luis (Luis Cuende, CEO at Aragon One):
- Updated the naming proposal in the forum https://research.aragon.org/t/on-aragon-naming/203/6
- Legal matters
- Work on a collaboration on decentralized package managers
- New team member onboarding
- Strategic tasks for the Foundation/Association
- Trial week with two candidates for frontend dev
- Thinking about branding and identity
- Product brainstorm with @bpierre and @jounih
@tatu (Tatu Kärki, Communications at Aragon One):
- Mainly event related stuff this week
- Work on the wiki, reviewing Pull Requests and working on updating it
- Reviewed, edited & published https://blog.aragon.org/aragon-community-update-1/ blog post by @light
- Prepared and announced AraCon, https://aracon.one/
- Worked on longer term PR strategy
- Worked on revising the wiki
@chris-remus (Chris Remus, Product Manager):
- Track, manage and derisk current sprint progress and roadmap timeline
- Lead weekly product call and sprint check-in’s
- Participate in other team calls: design and State of Aragon
- Have product team 1on1 conversations
- Continue developing current and future user stories with @lkngtn
- Coordinate additional devops support with @jorge
- Confirm product manager role evolution next steps with @jorge and @luis
- Have first product vision call with @luis
- Complete second detailed review of hack.aragon.org and architecture walkthrough with @jorge
- Initiate devops infrastructure work with @jorge
- Participate in other team calls, trial week, design and State of Aragon
@bingen (Bingen Eguzkitza, Solidity Engineer):
- DAO kits: upgrade to aragonOS 4
- DAO kits: a couple of bug fixes (issues #2 and @27)
- Nest: several projects support and review
- Labs: participation in a TCR in a community group plus some internal discussions
- Nest: support several projects
- aragonOS: review some PRs
- Labs: review @lkngtn ‘s court simulator
- Labs: follow-up with Enigma for secret voting
- Labs: review @jorge ‘s Stake locking v2 and start working on specs for it
@jorge (Jorge Izquierdo, CTO at Aragon One):
- aragonOS and dao kits: reviewed and finished some PRs
- aragon.js: ERC20 approvals support
- Help support trial week with a couple of front-end candidates!
@sohkai (Brett Sun, Lead Developer at Aragon One):
- Catching up on development work from vacation
- Syncing back up on the status of the sprints and mainnet roadmap
- Reviewing _tons_ of work from every one!
@light (John Light, Community at Aragon One):
- Planning for upcoming events
- Published Community Update #1
- Prep AGP-0 for public comment
- Routine community tasks
- Working on new merch designs for devcon
- Helped with onboarding a new team member
@maria (Maria Gomez, Strategy & Operations):
- Worked on a post for nest and on a market trends report
- Started the onboarding process of two new nest teams
- Attended my first meeting as part of the crypto valley association board with the Zug Canton government
- Supported with some legal matters
- Other tasks related to ecosystem development
- Worked on nest: reviewed applications, talked to potential applicants, supported some teams in several matters
- Worked on other tasks related to Ecosystem dev
@lkngtn (Luke Duncan, Research at Aragon One):
- Reviewed @Light ‘s draft of AGP0
- Continued thinking about staking/locking and reviewed @jorge ‘s proposed staking spec
- Continued documenting user stories
- Started drafting a blog post on Decentralized Governance
@alexa (Alexa Weaver, Operations Assistant):
- Logistics: travel, upcoming events
- Payments: Team Payroll, Service Providers, AraCon, Nest, etc. (fresh transparency update coming soon)
- Ops: Miscellaneous Banking and Legal help
@bpierre (Pierre Bertet, UI & Interaction Developer):
- Aragon Core: upgrade to Parcel 1.10 and babel 7 https://github.com/aragon/aragon/pull/368
- Aragon Core: provide some feedback when the apps fail to load https://github.com/aragon/aragon/pull/365
- Voting app: several improvements related to the way votes are presented in the voting panel https://github.com/aragon/aragon-apps/pull/467
@kris (Kris Decoodt, Communication Circle Lead at Giveth):
- synced with some people on the aragon community newsletter
- been sick most of the week, more coming up next week
Aragon Community Update #1 — the latest updates, like the new Rocket Chat version, new community GitHub repository and much more:
- Rocket Chat Update
- New #check-in channel on Aragon Chat
- Community repo on GitHub
- Aragon community forum
- Wiki updates
- Welcoming Aragon DAC to the community
- Join a community of freedom fighters and visionary builders
Video: True Decentralization by Luis Cuende at ETHBerlin 2018: A presentation titled True Decentralization by Luis Cuende, September 7th 2018 at the ETHBerlin hackathon.
Luis Cuende on The Ethfinex Governance Summit (29th September — 1st October, Lugano, Switzerland) — Day 2:
Announcing AraCon — The Aragon Conference:
AraCon — The first Aragon Conference — will take place in Berlin, Germany on January 29th-30th 2019.
The conference will bring together people who embody and wish to shape the Aragon community. Those who are building and supporting the pseudonymous, secure, trustless future — the decentralized web. Decentralized governance and DAOs are at the heart of the new Web 3.0. They are key components in moving towards a more fair and open world for everyone.
The event has four distinctive themes:
- Web 3.0 / Ethereum
- Decentralized Governance
AraCon will present over 30 speakers passionate and deeply involved in creating this decentralized future. The list of already confirmed speakers include:
- Luis Cuende (CEO, ARAGON ONE)
- Griff Green (CO-FOUNDER, GIVETH & ARAGON DAC)
- Jutta Steiner (CO-FOUNDER AND CEO, PARITY TECHNOLOGIES)
- Trent-McConaghy (CO-FOUNDER, BIGCHAINDB)
- Santiago Siri (FOUNDER, DEMOCRACY EARTH FOUNDATION)
- Joe Urgo (CO-FOUNDER, DISTRICT0X)
- Lane Rettig (INDEPENDENT CORE DEVELOPER, EWASM)
- Primavera De Filippi (POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER, NATIONAL CENTER OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, CNRS)
- Mike Goldin (LEAD ENGINEER, CRYPTOSYSTEMS PRODUCTIZATION LAB, CONSENSYS)
- Matt Lockyer (FOUNDER, SOLOBLOCK SOLUTIONS)
- Mario Laul (RESEARCHER, PLACEHOLDER VENTURES)
- Martin Köppelmann (CEO AND CO-FOUNDER, GNOSIS)
- Raine Revere (CO-FOUNDER, MAIDEN)
- Aron Fischer (GOVERNANCE RESEARCHER, COLONY)
- María Gómez (ECOSYSTEM DEVELOPMENT, ARAGON ONE)
- Evan Van Ness (FOUNDER & EDITOR, WEEK IN ETHEREUM NEWS)
- Jordi Baylina (TECH LEAD, IDEN3)
- Will Warren (CO-FOUNDER AND CEO, 0X)
Luke Duncan — research lead from the Aragon Project is the fourth adviser for the First Conference on Distributed Governance (Athenes, 7th — 9th of December 2018) alongside with Vlad Zamfir, Andy Tudhope from Status and Lane Rettig from the EIP0 initiative.
The Network Release
- Basic network-wide governance
Which power the network will have over organizations, governance votings to decide on service providers, payouts functionality.
- App center
The App center will allow third party apps to be installed in Aragon in order to enable different organizations to address different needs. Any aragonOS-compatible app will be able to be installed, and recommendations will be given to users.
- ANT token minting
The network will be responsible for the minting policy of ANT, it will be decided through the governance of the network. Some of its responsibilities will be to decide the minting rate, the price and how companies pay for the subscription to the network.
- Integrate upgradeability
Provide upgradeability as a network service for all Aragon Network organizations.
Alpha: November 2018
Bug bounty (mainnet): December 2018
Production deploy (mainnet): January 2019
Partnerships and team members
Frame Security Audit: FRM-01 — first security audit funded by Aragon Project. Frame is an Ethereum interface like MetaMask that aims to improve flexibility, security and decentralization by living at the OS-level. It isn’t dependent on a browser or extension store and works with any type of dapp: web, desktop and even command line. Frame currently supports macOS, Linux and Windows along with Ledger and Trezor hardware signers.
Editor: Compile Issue 09 of Aragon Monthly: This issue is for a community contributor to compile the whole issue of Aragon Monthly Issue 09 that encompasses the content from September of 2018 in MarkDown files in the given format and structure.
Aragon chat — About Prague blockchain week in November:
@tatu (Tatu Kärki, Communications at Aragon One): “We plan on having many team members in Prague at the time of DevCon 🙂”
@Light (John Light, Community Lead): “We are planning a side event on November 1st, and I will be at the Halloween party at Paralelni Polis”.
Social media activity
Twitter — average number of retweets is 10–15 for one post.
The number of Reddit threads’ comments are: 1–15.
Aragon chat — active discussions on development and development help.
Aragon research — Popular topics: