Cardano: Cryptocurrency market activity on NASDAQ and the upcoming testnet release in the middle of September
Biweekly update 21st August — 4th September
Hello, everyone! Over two weeks, there were a lot of events. First of all, on Friday, Charles dropped a surprise AMA, beating by a day his earlier commitment to announce some dates before the end of August. Amid the pantheon of Charles’ many AMAs since the project kicked off, it will probably go down as one of the most important. Within it, you’ll hear definitive information on the rollout of the network Shelley Rust testnet, as well as the news that real staking will be introduced in Q4 — effectively marking the beginning of the Shelley era. You’ll also hear a powerful appraisal of the Cardano project, dismantling critics with the achievements of the past several years. Second, it is essential to note that recently Nasdaq started displaying several cryptocurrencies on its market-activity website, including ADA. This shows positive signs and developments towards crypto and blockchain adoption. And finally, you can read the Shelley Test net updates in detail. For more about this news and new updates in our post.
Developer activity (from Coinlib.io):
Last week, David Esser, Cardano Product Manager at IOHK, held an AMA as part of the new series of Live Cardano development updates. He started by giving project updates, like sharing the latest on the development progress demo videos, the new version of Daedalus to Cardano achievements on GitHub and on CV VC’s Top 50 report. He then dived into questions from the Cardano community.
Watch the full recording of the AMA with the YouTube link above or check out the list below that has all of the topics and questions that were covered. These are timestamped with the recorded video for easier viewing!
- Recent updates: The development progress demo video 1 & 2 4
- Cardano 1.6.0: Daedalus 0.14.0 with Cardano SL 3.0.3
Read more: Cardano 1.6.0: Daedalus 0.14.0 with Cardano SL 3.0.3 — Release Notes 1
- UTXO — More details to come 1
- Daedalus new features — Visual theme selection 2
- Recent news: Github activity report & CV VC report 1
Read more: Cardano Foundation is in CV VC Top 50 for the third time 1
- What do you think about the value utility of the price in ADA? 14
- Comment on Coinbase and Binance US 5
- How much ADA required on your own pool and what are the benefits for doing that in comparison to delegating your stake to another stake pool? 2
- What are the critical path items remaining and what are the risks?
- What is the picture of Daedalus and its long term goal?
- Do you plan to develop a lightweight version of the Daedalus wallet?
- With which strategy would you like to save or protect Cardano in the long run from high volume whales and traders?
- After Shelley comes out, how long will it take to the end of the Goguen phase? Will it continue to develop after 2020? 5
- Is that estimated for hard wallet support for Daedalus?
- The official roadmap is not updated very frequently. Can we get frequent updates?
- How often do you plan to do the updates?
- Will Yoroi support staking delegation after Shelley release? 2
- Do you have any plans for language support in Indo-Pakistan region?
- What is the current critical path and how confident are you that Shelley will be stable and reliable developed by the end of this year? 2
- Is there a lot of interests from Dapp developers in Goguen? 1
- What is the progress in Africa and Ethiopia? 4
- Both Cardano and current Ethereum now have 20 seconds of block settlement time. Why is Cardano not made with a higher transaction than the current Ethereum for 15? 3
- What about the old upgraded roadmap changes from what you presented in Cardano Effect broadcast?
- Will the system be resistance to quantum when the Voltaire phase is over?
- Do you have plans to introduce your own hard wallet equipment
- Where can we be updated when there is a Plutus ebook update?
- I wonder how non-tech people should vote on a future project to be built on Cardano
- Can you introduce about Konfidio partnership? 1
Read more: Cardano Foundation Blog
- Any plans for mobile Daedalus?
- Any new unforeseen challenges discovered on testnet? 2
- Can you speak on interoperability ERC 20 token moving to Cardano with Goguen?
- Shelley Testnet: Your weekly rollout rollup. Week Nine: W/E 23rd August 2019
Jormungandr was released to version 0.3.3 . This includes a major core rewrite of the internal blockchain data representation making the code safer, faster and to provide better API content. Indeed, with this new release comes a new end point for a stake pool operator to query the events schedules of the current epoch and see the past ones’ status.
Another notable change, though it is only aesthetic, is that Cardano team allow addresses to have any Bech32 prefix. For the node or the protocol, sending Ada to any of the following addresses will credit the same account:
In this case, the addresses both decompose into (output from jcli address info):
discrimination: testing account: ed25519_pk1k5mejn3zqjj4f8f73v4ukfshmayr57jsv2ympvsg9zdvdpxvq64q3c2pv7
Documentation and content
New issues — 2 (1 documentation, 1 bug)
Backlog — 1
Resolved — 1
- Gracias a Rodrigo González Lascano, de la comunidad Cardano, por su ayuda traduciendo estos reportes semanales al español 3.
This week, the DevOps team supported the new Jormungandr build:
- Jormungandr-nix 10 upgraded to 0.3.3
- Jormungandr snappy packages 4 upgraded to 0.3.3
- Jormungandr chocolatey packages 5upgraded to 0.3.3
- Jormungandr homebrew tap 5upgraded to 0.3.3
- Charles Hoskinson’s Important Shelley Announcements and Surprise AMA Recap
On Friday, Charles dropped a surprise AMA from their new offices in Longmont, Colorado, beating by a day his earlier commitment to announce some dates before the end of August. Amid the pantheon of Charles’ many AMAs since the project kicked off, it will probably go down as one of the most important. Within it, you’ll hear definitive information on the rollout of the network Shelley Rust testnet, as well as the news that real staking will be introduced in Q4 — effectively marking the beginning of the Shelley era. You’ll also hear a powerful appraisal of the Cardano project, dismantling critics with the achievements of the past several years.
Quick Video Breakdown
-The network testnet will launch in the middle of September. (Earliest Sept 15)
-The announcement of the launch of the incentivized testnet will happen on Sept 28.
-Ouroboros Hydra will be complete in September, finalizing Ouroboros research.
-There is an upcoming hackathon at the University of Wyoming on September 20th.
-The next update to Plutus will also happen in September.
-Cardano set out to solve the problems of crypto through first principles thinking.
-We’d like staking to be possible on the Yoroi wallet.
-We hope to see hosting on a small device like a raspberry pi.
-The biggest challenge of the last four years has been believing that doing the impossible was possible.
Updates on Cardano
(2:00) The rust client testnet and the networking testnet are stable after being released to the community and fixing hundreds of bugs. With the launch of Shelley we will be moving to a distributed and incentivized testnet. This will let us start to build up a community of stake pool operators and allow people to make real money through real world rewards. The network testnet will be shipping next month. At the earliest, September 15th.
(4:01) Furthermore, Charles will be traveling to Bulgaria on the 28th to celebrate the second anniversary of the launch of Byron. From there he will announce the launch of the incentivized testnet, which is essentially the roll out of Shelley.
(7:25) The big month of September
In September we are also expecting that Ouroboros Hydra will be complete. This is the final advancement in the research of the Ouroboros protocol. This is important because it is the realization of all previous research around creating a workable proof-of-stake platform. It also allows sharding as well as global scaling. The completion of Ouroboros stands to be a major step forward in solving the proof-of-stake problem in computer science.
On September 20th there will be a major hackathon at the University of Wyoming, it will be attended by 500 developers along with the governor of Wyoming. There, they will unveil the next update to Plutus. This will allow developers to build applications and smart contracts that will work on the Cardano network. The recently released Plutus book and Udemy course will help achieve parity with the Ethereum ecosystem by educating the community on building with Cardano.
- EMURGO’s Chief Business Officer Yosuke Yoshida to Speak at World Blockchain Forum Globalization Tokyo Meetup
EMURGO Sharing Its Vision At WBF Tokyo Meetup
EMURGO’s Chief Business Officer Yosuke Yoshida was a keynote speaker at the World Blockchain Forum (WBF) Globalization Tokyo meetup event on September 2nd, along with other figures from the cryptocurrency and blockchain industry. WBF is a blockchain conference brand that is hosting an event in Tokyo this year alongside other events in the Asian region.
Yoshida gave a special talk entitled: “Building a Global Cardano.” As the Chief Business Officer at the official commercial arm of Cardano, Yoshida was sharing his vision, experiences, and insights on the Cardano blockchain ecosystem and other relevant topics. Events such as WBF are valuable for the community, since this is where various blockchain and cryptocurrency thought leaders come to network, learn, conduct investment meetings and meet with valuable members from the community.
Recently, EMURGO inked MOUs with two South Korean government-approved trade associations to further drive the adoption of Cardano in the content and gaming industries there. Focused on building the commercialization of Cardano with a rich set of diverse ecosystem players, EMURGO is consistently raising the awareness of Cardano to interested parties and directly engaging with the community at events like this and others.
With extensive experience, Caitlin Long of the Wyoming Blockchain Task Force provides financial and legislative perspectives on crypto. She joined TCE to discuss pro-blockchain laws, the Wyohackathon, and many other topics.
- Plutus: Writing Reliable Smart Contracts with the Authors Lars and Polina | TCE 41
- Cardano Community Weekly Recap August 25, 2019 | TCE 42
- EMURGO Q&A Series — Will we see STOs on Cardano?
In this clip, EMURGO’s PR Manager, Albert, and Social Media Manager, Zach, answer this frequently asked question about STOs on Cardano Blockchain.
Cardano Foundation, as one of its sponsors, is attending the WyoHackathon event next month. Hackathons are a great way for us to share Plutus and Marlowe to the wider community. Join the experts from IOHK in Wyoming!
This group is for anyone interested in the Cardano blockchain, ADA, and other Cardano related technologies. All skill levels are welcome. Cardano team started this group to help individuals increase their understanding of the Cardano blockchain, to assist them adopt the ADA cryptocurrency, and to provide a safe space for the South Florida Cardano community members to meet face to face.
Below are the new Cardano Meetup groups:
- Cardano Blockchain Taipei
- Cardano Turkey Meetup Group
- Cardano Blockchain Ottawa (Ottawa, ON)
- Cardano Blockchain Malta (Valletta, Malta)
- Cardano Blockchain Ostrava (Ostrava, Czech Republic)
Token holders and the number of transactions dynamics (information from seiza.com)
Recently Nasdaq started displaying several cryptocurrencies on their market-activity website, including ADA. This shows positive signs and developments towards crypto and blockchain adoption.
- Shelley decentralization by 2020
>> Cardano will be more decentralized and enjoy greater security and robustness
>> Shelley will see the introduction of a delegation and incentives scheme, a reward system to drive stake pools and community adoption. As a proof-of-stake network, users stake their ada to participate in the network. Painstakingly designed using game theory and the latest research into proof-of-stake networks, the delegation and incentive scheme will allow and encourage users to delegate their stake to stake pools — always-on, community-run network nodes — and be rewarded for honest participation in the network.
>> Cardano is expected to be 50–100 times more decentralized than other large blockchain networks, with the incentives scheme designed to reach equilibrium around 1,000 stake pools. The entire Cardano network runs at a fraction of the power cost of equivalent proof-of-work blockchains, using the electricity equivalent of a single house, rather than a small country.
>> The Shelley era represents the natural maturation of the network, making it more useful, rewarding, and valuable for users new and old. Shelley will set the stage for a fully distributed network, and an entirely new application ecosystem with even greater things to come in the Goguen, Basho, and Voltaire eras.
Partnerships and team members
Social media metrics
Social media activity:
The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of Cardano Facebook likes, Reddit subscribers and Twitter followers. The information is taken from Coingecko.com.