ICON: Network Stabilization, ICON Tracker, Mobile Staking and BTP
Biweekly update 27th November — 11th December
ICON published a roadmap update for the month of November, with a promising update in the first half of 2020.
The network was momentarily paused a few weeks back due to a leader node initializing bug. The ICON team and P-Reps worked through the night to resolve and troubleshoot the issue. ICON is now working on 2 internal releases and 1 external release. It is expected that with Revision 8, the network will be fully stabilized.
ICONists can now enjoy mobile staking capabilities on the iOS version of the ICONex wallet. The Android version should soon be updated following a QA revision that ICON is working on resolving.
ICON is continuing efforts with BTP and is preparing its Proof of Concept (POC) of BTP version 0.5, with an expected launch in the coming weeks. More details will be shared once the team releases their design plans for BTP version 1.0.
The Iconist met the ICON’s resident cryptoeconomic experts, Changju Lee and Bong An Ha to discuss post-decentralization and what lies ahead for the ICON network.
The decentralized advertising ecosystem (and main P-Rep) weBloc has officially launched JUBJUB, a blockchain-based service that rewards users for taking offline actions. JUBJUB users can earn WOK tokens by coming within 150 meters of a participating cafe. In the future, you’ll earn tokens for undertaking certain “missions,” such as visiting locations, ordering certain menu items or providing particular information.
ICON P-Reps News
By downloading the mobile app for Android and iOS, JUBJUB users can earn WOK tokens by coming within 150 meters of a participating cafe. In the future, you’ll earn tokens for undertaking certain “missions,” such as visiting locations, ordering certain menu items or providing particular information.
Right now, WOK holders can donate tokens to cafes they’ve particularly enjoyed to support them, something weBloc calls “Seeding.”
Soon, however, users will be able to use WOK tokens to get digital coupons to buy coffee or purchase gifts. They may soon be able to turn their tokens into cash through cryptocurrency exchanges, too.
weBloc launched a trial version of the service in July. Since then, they’ve grown the number of participating cafes to about 400 cafes in Jeju and several in parts of Seoul.
The weBloc team will focus on promoting the service and growing the number of users by growing the number of participating cafes in Seoul.
With the launch of JUBJUB, the team also plans to expand its blockchain services aimed at small companies. They are currently working with mobile payment platform and strategic partner Mobidoo to develop a reward service that connects users with small businesses in the Seoul area.
- JH KIM: DID COULD TRANSFORM BUSINESS
- ICON Testnet Faucet Developed and Launched by iBriz-ICONOsphere
- A call to the ICON community: this is how we win.
- ICON P-Rep Update
- November Update from Blockmove
- THE BRIEF #6: FINALLY, SOME REGULATORY PROGRESS
- Announcing the ICON (ICX) Christmas Giveaway
- ICONLOOP’S BROOF GETS A WORKOUT
Paradigm Fund has issued new reports on the following cryptonetworks:
- CARDANO: The Daedalus Balance Check wallet is now available
- KOMODO: Metal Pay welcomes Komodo to its Marketplace and A Stablecoin Suite Is Now Available For Trading On AtomicDEX
- State of Stake #9
- Crypto Regulation Digest
- AMBROSUS: Milestones of Communications and Outreach for Ambrosus Ecosystem
- ENIGMA: The Discovery networked testnet in December 2019
- COSMOS: Cosmos Hub 3 upgrade to launch on Dec 11, Terra mainnet will be upgrading to Columbus-3 via a hard fork on Dec 13, IRISnet 2nd mainnet upgrade is completed, TruStory testnet is live
- AETERNITY: Mainnet Turned One Year, Next Edition of Starfleet, Tokensale Example Application, A New Version of Æproject Is Available, Meetup in Sophia
- POLKADOT: Laminar Receiving Grant from the Web3 Foundation
- THETA: The team at SDC19 — upcoming platforms, Live network statistics, http://SLIVER.tv Korea is available now in Google Play
- BEAM: Announcing the Beam Foundation, Atomic Swaps Marketplace & Double Doppler 4.0
- TEZOS: New Version of Mainnet-Staging Branch, TzStats Smart Contract APIs, Binance Supports Zero Fee XTZ Staking, V1 of tezblock, Bakers Voting List, Updating the Potential Carthage Proposal
- IOST: Partnerships with PHI, EHang, and FoundGame
- ORBS: Sey Chain & Partnership With YES24, Interview With UN Hackathon Winners, Blockchain-Based Solution Against SNAP Fraud, Reflections On “Demo Day On The Hill”, December Voting Deadline Calendar
- CHAINLINK: BLOCKLORDS to use Chainlink Oracles for off-chain gaming solutions, Collaboration with Enigma, and Chainlink is helping Ampleforth to become a better ‘reserve currency’
- ETHEREUM: Istanbul activated. Aragon Court is live on mainnet. Brave passes 10M monthly active users. EF-Supported Teams report. Vitalik post on quadratic voting.
wThe Iconist recently had the opportunity to meet ICON’s resident cryptoeconomic experts, Changju Lee (aka Dr.ICON) and Bong An Ha to discuss post-decentralization and what lies ahead for the ICON network.
Despite a network pause and some slight issues, both Changju and Bong expressed satisfaction over ICON’s transition to a decentralized network and thanked P-Reps for continuously supporting the network.
Changju and Bong also acknowledged governance issues the network was currently facing, specifying that vote buying was a particularly hot topic among the community. While they are aware it is something that needs clearer regulations, Bong warned that “P-Rep disqualification proposals should be used very carefully.”
Top heavy vote distribution and ways to circumvent this problem, as well as what they’re working on next following decentralization were also addressed by Changju and Bong. You can watch the full interview split into 2 below.
Some recent network stabilization updates include:
- Applied updated P-Rep delegation reward calculation formula: Revision 7
- Fixed a bug for loading total_elected_prep_delegation amount when a node restarts
- Fixed IPC channel crashes between ICONService and RewardCalculator when processing queryIScore request with an empty string as an address parameter
- Fixed a bug for total_elected_prep_delegation amount
- Fixed a minor bug on setDelegation TX
- Fixed IISS Data corruption
- Fixed unconfirmed tx remain while leader in complain state
- Treat the error as an exception while ‘Confirm Info’ is None
- Removed reset leader from the vote in block manage
- Avoid synchronizing a block that doesn’t have the `confirm_info` and next block
- Update Broadcaster audience at once with the target list
- Remove peer_list in ‘PeerManager
Partnerships and team members
Social media metrics
The charts above illustrate a slight decline in the number of Telegram and Twitter followers. In general, the ICON foundation experiences an average level of social activity.
The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of ICON Reddit subscribers, Twitter followers, and Facebook likes. The information is taken from Coingecko.com.
Official channels of P-Reps:
RHIZOME (ICON P-Rep Candidate. Focused on creating and marketing content about the ICON ecosystem).
Insight ICON (Insight’s Distributed Consensus Lab is building automated node deployments, advanced analysis techniques, and distributed applications for the ICON Blockchain)
POS Bakerz (a blockchain infrastructure service and node operator for different Proof-of-Stake blockchains).
block42 Blockchain Company (Unlocking blockchain technology for organizations).
Blockchain@Berkeley (focus on education, R&D, and consulting)
Gilga Capital (Blockchain Venture Capital and Accelerator)
Chainode Capital (Blockchain consultancy and validator services)