ORBS: Participating in the Virtual Vision Finance conference, Return to the office
Biweekly update 26th May — 9th June
Hello, dear ORBSians!
From upcoming events, on June 10th, Orbs VP Trading Ilan Sterk will partake in a fascinating discussion on new priorities & strategies for adoption for the blockchain and crypto industries post-COVID19.
Unfortunately, the company does not have much news, but they gradually begin to move to the office, which will undoubtedly bring up new updates for the ORBS community. Quarantine measures are declining around the world, so together we will wait for steps towards global adoption!
Take care of yourself and your loved ones!
- State of the Network, according to the latest update:
There are 19 registered Guardians and 16 Validators running in production. There are now over 1700 Delegators participating in the Orbs PoS ecosystem, and over 200 of them are already staking through Tetra, the new staking wallet! Note that the locking period has been decided to change to 14 days.
There are 2 applications running on the Orbs Network:
- Vchain 1960000 — Open-Rights (https://www.open-rights.org/)
- Vchain 1970000 — Receipts Notarization (https://www.linet.org.il/)
Enterprise blockchain solutions company Orbs issued a report suggesting that blockchain technology could cut down on wasteful government spending by minimizing fraud in the United States’ Department of Agriculture’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) food stamps program.
Facebook-backed startup is using blockchain to power digital food stamps - Decrypt
In brief Startup All_EBT is using the Telos blockchain for its virtual food stamps card. Users can use All_EBT for…
On June 10th, Orbs VP Trading Ilan Sterk will partake in a fascinating discussion on new priorities and strategies for adoption for the blockchain and crypto industries post-COVID19:
Delegators, in order to receive rewards, you should delegate to an active guardian who does not miss voting deadlines. If your guardian misses voting deadlines, you will not get rewards in this period.
Guardians, please note that elections are every 20000 Ethereum blocks, it is approximately 3 days. A Guardian vote is valid for about 1 week. We recommend voting every 6 days to be on the safe side.
Voting deadlines calendar (estimated)
According to the Roadmap:
- Proof-of-Stake Core Infrastructure V2 — Implement the next version of the Orbs Proof-of-Stake architecture with various improvements making the existing implementation more efficient, easier to use and more powerful with the ability to rely on stronger incentives like locking.
2. Proof-of-Stake Ecosystem Tools — Create tools for participants in the Orbs PoS Universe. Validators will benefit from easier ways to keep their node healthy. Guardians will have better ways to measure Validators. Delegators will have easier ways to stake and observe network activity.
3. Orbs Audit Node — Audit nodes are important for network security. They allow any external participant (not necessarily a Validator) to verify that the network operation is correct. Audit nodes may choose to audit only a single or subset of virtual chains.
4. Orbs Two Tier Consensus — Two tier consensus is the hybrid aspect of Orbs. It allows to build permissioned apps — where the app can select its own block producers. These apps run over a permissionless infrastructure — where validators are selected by the network.
5. Virtual Chains Infrastructure — Virtual chains are a key feature of Orbs that provides isolation between apps. It gives the network infinite scalability and sharding; and provides apps with lower cost of operation, guaranteed resources and independent governance.
6. Validator Node Deployment V2 — The next generation of how a Validator deploys and operates an Orbs node. Improvements include efficiency for reduced operation cost, higher availability and uptime, optimizations for even more scaling and improved security.
7. Orbs Smart Contract SDK — Allow developers to build even better apps with Orbs for more versatile use cases. Developers are requesting richer API’s that support more languages, more powerful data structures and more flexible interoperability.
8. App Developer Experience — Increase developer adoption by making the app development experience on Orbs easier than ever. Help developers learn how to build on Orbs and give better developer tools to debug and test their smart contracts.
9. Ready-Made Use Case Templates — Increase business adoption of the Orbs network by offering solutions for popular blockchain use-cases. These templates reduce the integration time of blockchain technology into a business from months to days.
10. Network Production Enhancements — The Orbs network is in production mainnet from March 2019. Continue the process of making the network more mature, reliable, stable, performant and secure — so it can host even bigger apps with more users and more value.
11. Protocol Enhancement Research — Long term research for core improvements to the Orbs protocol. Every big feature like privacy with zero-knowledge proofs requires months of academic research before being implemented in production and added to the core.
12. Online IDE for App Developers — Similar to Ethereum’s Remix, the online IDE lets app developers write smart contracts directly from their web browser without installing any tools. This is a great way to make experimentation with Orbs easier with less friction.
13. Prism Block Explorer — Prism is the Orbs block explorer which lets users access the chain directly, find transactions and inspect blocks. Prism is also a developer tool because it lets smart contract developers investigate their contracts and learn how they’re used.
Partnerships and team members
Social media metrics
The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of Orbs Facebook likes, Reddit subscribers, and Twitter followers. The information is taken from Coingecko.com.