Orbs: The team at REIMAGINE 2020, Locking period reduction, April Update
Biweekly update 28th April — 12th May
Hello, ORBS community! Nice to see you again in our biweekly updates! Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the first part of May presents such good stats: non-stop development and ecosystem support, events and conferences, community transfer, and social media publications!
Tetra wallet continues to gain momentum and the numbers have long exceeded 300m coins staked. Lately, the team presented statistics showing a positive upward trend and fast-growing delegate participation. There are now over 1700 Delegators participating in the Orbs PoS ecosystem, and over 200 of them are already staking with Tetra. We note that the locking period duration has been reduced to two weeks.
As for social updates, a couple of fresh must-reads appeared. Eran Peled wrote an article about Track & Trace use cases and Nate Simantov prepared April Recap, covering the life and updates from the team. furthermore, we congratulate the ORBS team with 15k Twitter followers, at the moment they are close to 17k (in just one week!).
From the partnership section, Orbs is thrilled to have Nadav Shemesh as the newest Partner! Nadav recently served as senior advisor to Israel’s Finance Minister. He is a former fighter pilot and has a strong background in technology and management.
- State of the Network, according to the latest update:
There are 19 registered Guardians and 16 Validators running in production. There are now over 1700 Delegators participating in the Orbs PoS ecosystem, and over 200 of them are already staking through Tetra, the new staking wallet! Note that the locking period has been decided to change to 14 days.
There are 2 applications running on the Orbs Network:
- Vchain 1960000 — Open-Rights (https://www.open-rights.org/)
- Vchain 1970000 — Receipts Notarization (https://www.linet.org.il/)
Oficial Orbs twitter has reached 15k followers. (At the moment there are more than 16k). Congratulations!
“Introduction to the Track & Trace Use-Case” by Eran Peled
As the world has gotten flatter and supply chains have gotten ever more complex, the need for companies to follow best practices in global supply chain management has intensified. Global manufacturing and shipping firms, face a growing problem managing their supply chain logistics, to the point that it has become increasingly difficult to track where their products end up.
For most manufacturing firms, the end of their span of interest is usually up until the point when the product leaves the factory. As it turns out, these manufacturers have very little knowledge about what happens to their products once they leave their factories, through their supply chain and all the way to the consumers.
In this post, we’ll demonstrate why a public blockchain is the optimal technological solution for track & trace use-case.
Read the full article on the official ORBS website
The latest news from ORBS Project in case you missed something!
REIMAGINE 2020!, an online event organized by San Francisco based blockchain consortium MouseBelt with an ambitious aim to run continuously for 72 hours! The organizers of the event, which begins May 4th, have promised it’ll be packed with keynote speeches, panels, and debates.
Delegators, in order to receive rewards, you should delegate to an active guardian who does not miss voting deadlines. If your guardian misses voting deadlines, you will not get rewards in this period.
Guardians, please note that elections are every 20000 Ethereum blocks, it is approximately 3 days. A Guardian vote is valid for about 1 week. We recommend voting every 6 days to be on the safe side.
Voting deadlines calendar (estimated)
- Nomics, API-first cryptoasset data company delivering professional-grade market data APIs to institutional crypto investors and exchanges, have added ORBS to their platform. Check the page here
According to the Roadmap:
- Proof-of-Stake Core Infrastructure V2 — Implement the next version of the Orbs Proof-of-Stake architecture with various improvements making the existing implementation more efficient, easier to use and more powerful with the ability to rely on stronger incentives like locking.
2. Proof-of-Stake Ecosystem Tools — Create tools for participants in the Orbs PoS Universe. Validators will benefit from easier ways to keep their node healthy. Guardians will have better ways to measure Validators. Delegators will have easier ways to stake and observe network activity.
3. Orbs Audit Node — Audit nodes are important for network security. They allow any external participant (not necessarily a Validator) to verify that the network operation is correct. Audit nodes may choose to audit only a single or subset of virtual chains.
4. Orbs Two Tier Consensus — Two tier consensus is the hybrid aspect of Orbs. It allows to build permissioned apps — where the app can select its own block producers. These apps run over a permissionless infrastructure — where validators are selected by the network.
5. Virtual Chains Infrastructure — Virtual chains are a key feature of Orbs that provides isolation between apps. It gives the network infinite scalability and sharding; and provides apps with lower cost of operation, guaranteed resources and independent governance.
6. Validator Node Deployment V2 — The next generation of how a Validator deploys and operates an Orbs node. Improvements include efficiency for reduced operation cost, higher availability and uptime, optimizations for even more scaling and improved security.
7. Orbs Smart Contract SDK — Allow developers to build even better apps with Orbs for more versatile use cases. Developers are requesting richer API’s that support more languages, more powerful data structures and more flexible interoperability.
8. App Developer Experience — Increase developer adoption by making the app development experience on Orbs easier than ever. Help developers learn how to build on Orbs and give better developer tools to debug and test their smart contracts.
9. Ready-Made Use Case Templates — Increase business adoption of the Orbs network by offering solutions for popular blockchain use-cases. These templates reduce the integration time of blockchain technology into a business from months to days.
10. Network Production Enhancements — The Orbs network is in production mainnet from March 2019. Continue the process of making the network more mature, reliable, stable, performant and secure — so it can host even bigger apps with more users and more value.
11. Protocol Enhancement Research — Long term research for core improvements to the Orbs protocol. Every big feature like privacy with zero-knowledge proofs requires months of academic research before being implemented in production and added to the core.
12. Online IDE for App Developers — Similar to Ethereum’s Remix, the online IDE lets app developers write smart contracts directly from their web browser without installing any tools. This is a great way to make experimentation with Orbs easier with less friction.
13. Prism Block Explorer — Prism is the Orbs block explorer which lets users access the chain directly, find transactions and inspect blocks. Prism is also a developer tool because it lets smart contract developers investigate their contracts and learn how they’re used.
Partnerships and team members
New team member!
Orbs is thrilled to have Nadav Shemesh join the team as the newest Partner!
Nadav recently served as senior advisor to Israel’s Finance Minister. He is a former fighter pilot and has a strong background in technology and management.
Social media metrics
The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of Orbs Facebook likes, Reddit subscribers and Twitter followers. The information is taken from Coingecko.com.