Theta: Upbit listing, exclusive Tencent skins for Sliver.tv users, Mitch Liu at Beyond Blocks Summit
Biweekly update 20th November-4th December
- Theta releases major project updates, including Mainnet source code and version 2.0 of our white paper.
Version 1.0 of live Mainnet launch set for March 15, 2019.
While the team has released the Theta Mainnet code to GitHub, they decided to delay the Mainnet launch for several key reasons:
- Partnerships and initial work with Samsung VR, MBN, and CJ Group (plus a few others to announce soon) have led to early feedback that requires additional extensions to platform. What started out as a Tendermint-based blockchain with enhanced features built in for video delivery, developed into a new blockchain built from the ground up with the potential to expand beyond video into all forms of content and data delivery. Primary goal with these early partnerships is to learn what platforms want out of a decentralized content delivery network, and incorporating these changes will strengthen these existing partnerships and aid future Theta Network adoption.
- Ensuring that major exchanges support token swap is important to the existing Theta tokenholders, and based on current workload/backlogs at exchanges it looked like only some exchanges would be ready to support the Theta token swap by end of year.
- Code audit, security and scalability testing. As seen from GitHub update the team has finished constructing the Mainnet blockchain already, but now that they have major partners ready to push to Mainnet, they can’t afford to take chances with the stability and security of the Theta blockchain. They prefer to move back the Mainnet launch date and push stable, secure, and scalable code. There have been several mainnet launches in 2018 that were hampered by early failures, and the they’d like to avoid those mistakes.
A major upgrade after Mainnet launch will support guardians nodes; further details and timeline will be provided as the team gets closer to Mainnet launch.
Theta CEO Mitch Liu spoke at Beyond Blocks Summit in Bangkok November 26th 2018, featured on the “Cryptoreality VS. Cryptofuture: The Path To Mass Adoption” panel.
- The Theta team will be at the World Digital Asset Summit in San Francisco, December 9th through 11th.
- Mitch is in talks to speak at another upcoming conference, more details coming soon!
Theta Token is listed on Upbit exchange.
Late Q3 — Wallet Client
The wallet will be a secure, multi-platform wallet for sending and receiving Theta protocol-related currency. Users will be able to view a history of the transactions they have made. Front end UI and API wrapper will be done and prototype testing of wallet will follow.
Late Q4 — Public Devnet / Mainnet
The Native Theta network on our new blockchain. Current Theta ERC-20 tokens will be exchanged 1:1 for Theta blockchain tokens.
Partnerships and team members
- Theta team announces an education program with KAIST, the top-ranked engineering school in Korea.
- SLIVER.tv, the parent company of Theta and first esports platform to run on blockchain, announces partnership with Tencent Games.
MBN + Theta Collaboration: An overview of Theta’s collaboration with MBN, Korea’s largest business/economic news media company.
Social media metrics
Social media activity
Official Telegram group — discussions on testnet, price, possible partnerships, etc.
Facebook — 15–25 likes per publication, 1–5 shares.
Twitter — average number of retweets is 35–40 for one post.
Bitcointalk.org — since November 23rd, 2017. Discussion on price, roadmap. Last publication — November 30, 2018.
There is a slight growth in Theta community over time. The graph above shows the dynamics of changes in the number of Theta Reddit subscribers, Twitter followers and Facebook likes. The information is taken from Coingecko.com.