Family Traditions for 2020
The winter holiday seasons is upon us! This season means different things for many of us, especially this year. Even though, it will look a bit different for many of us, there are still many ways in which we can still cultivate closeness with our loved ones.
The Big Life Journal has put together suggestions on how to stay close to our loved ones by engaging in and creating new holiday traditions.
Here’s a list of some creative ways to spend this holiday season.
Family Holiday Traditions for 2020
- Create a playlist with holiday music. Everyone can add their favorite songs.
- Bake your favorite treats while singing along to holiday music. Ask others to join virtually and bake together!
- Create a hot cocoa bar with your favorite toppings and play a board game.
- Reflect back as a family on the events you’re grateful for. Write them down, put them in a gratitude jar and read them out loud on New Years Eve.
- Have a clean-out at the beginning of December — donate toys, games, and clothes that your children have outgrown to make way for holiday gifts.
- Put together holiday supply packages and deliver them to local women’s or homeless shelters.
- If you can, gather a few non-perishable items from your house (or purchase them at your local supermarket) and donate them to your local Food Bank. Let the children in your family help by choosing some of those items.
- Have family gatherings to learn a new skill or hobby together. Get together through Zoom to craft, crochet, paint, knit, or embroider.
- Have Zoom awards where family far and wide are honored for their accomplishments during 2020. For instance, you can celebrate graduations, work promotions, new babies, etc.
- Cook together via video. Have the family agree on a recipe, and everyone tries it out. Take a picture of the final product and share it with your family members.
For more suggestions check out the article at Big Life Journal for more celebratory ideas!