Forbes Asia Forum 2018
Perlin @ Decrypting Blockchain for Business Event in Singapore
The Perlin team was invited to attend the inaugural Forbes Asia Forum: Decrypting Blockchain For Business, which brought together blockchain thought leaders and crypto evangelists with Asia’s most important families, entrepreneurs and investors to explore issues around the disruptive power of blockchain technology. Often touted as the most significant new technology since the internet, blockchain continues to attract considerable investment and attention globally. Despite this, decentralized technologies like blockchain continue to struggle with mainstream adoption and acceptance.
Blockchain For the Mainstream
Movers and shakers from around the world gathered to discuss how the powerful (and yet to be fully realised) transformative power of blockchain can penetrate more meaningfully into the mainstream. Interestingly, in addition to an impressive list of crypto personalities, management from major traditional companies and organisations were also there, such as Capitaland (major regional property developer), RGE (a leading resource-based industrial group in Asia Pacific), SGInnovate (which fosters and promotes deep tech projects based in Singapore), and Temasek (the Singapore government’s sovereign investment fund).
Our CEO, Dorjee was able to connect with speakers and representatives of various industry leading companies to discuss potential collaborations with Perlin. Dorjee took the time to speak to key players like Angela Kwan COO of BitMEX, Dave Chapman Executive Chairman of OSL (Octagon), and CZ the pioneering CEO of Binance.
In Sync with Perlin’s Vision for a More Decentralized & Equitable the Future
The event aligned closely with Perlin’s vision to be a key driver for mainstream adoption — with the very real potential to bring in the next billion users with its decentralized compute platform. Like many of the key influencers there, the Perlin team passionately believes that blockchain will help create greater social and economic inclusion globally. As always, Dorjee evangelized on the Perlin goal of empowering people, communities and organisations globally to more fairly and equitably participate in the rapidly-growing share economy.
Some interesting specific topics covered by speakers and panels and hotly discussed during the event networking mixer included:
- The current state of the industry, with WEF estimates that around 10% of global GDP will be stored in some form of blockchain within a decade.
- Unprecedented opportunities across industries and regions, with existing real-world applications, emerging developments and future applications.
- A session focused on blockchain’s 1st smash hit: cryptocurrency!
- Understanding how blockchain is transforming business transactions.
- The pros and cons of different funding models (IPOs, ICOs and STOs).
- The vast pools of capital being invested into blockchain projects, with the frontline discovering the risks and opportunities.
- The future of digital asset exchanges built for security and speed.
- What the next 10 years hold for crypto and blockchain, with new economies and legislation coming online.
Perlin in Tokyo with Global Brain
Invited by Global Brain, the team is now in Japan to present the demo of our compute layer testnet to 700 of it’s partners and portfolio companies (and a few more potential partners/users who we’re excited to update you on soon!)