Khala Wins Fourth Parachain Slot Auction on Kusama! | Phala Weekly Vol.43
- New mining mechanism PR
- Remove legacy mining mechanism PR
- GateKeeper key provision PR
- GateKeeper VRF, registration, masterkey exchange PR
- StakePool PR
- E2E test tool
- On-boarded Kusama as parachain
💻Work in progress
Long-term work See Tracker
- Mining pool system: Runtime Bridge
- Bug investigation: Polkadot 0.9.8 dependency led to problem with Parity and Phala runtime getting stuck
Community & Ecosystem
- Community Stats：
- Phala Assembly introduced on July 12. This was the first public discussion by the Phala team on how we plan to manage Phala community since the White Paper. Phala’s on-chain governance will initially follow Polkadot’s mature models and will be governed by three parties: the Public, an Phala Assembly, and a Technical Committee.
Democracy’s Path From Ancient Greece to Web 3.0: Phala On-Chain Assembly due to Launch
Aspirations for Democratic Governance
- Slot Win! At 16:42 on July 13th (SGT), the Web3 cloud computing project Khala, by Phala Network, successfully won the auction for the fourth parachain slot on Kusama. The winning bid was 132,280 KSM, which was nearly as much as the winner of the previous slot auction. Recap👇
- To meet ongoing development needs, we are making adjustments to the PoC mining networks. The Phala team decided to close the PoC4 network that is running. The existing PoC4-related domain names, Docker names, scripts, etc. will be transferred to the PoC4-dev chain. The PoC4-dev chain still follows the old token economics and is only used as a test chain for mining pool protocol development. To update current PoC4 miners to PoC4-dev chain, please execute the following:
sudo phala stop
sudo phala update clean
sudo phala start
Activities & News
- July 12, the Web3 Foundation published their Wave 10 Grant list. Phala Network’s Open Node Framework was in it. This is the 3rd Phala grant, preceded by grants for Libra and W3A. ANN👇
Web3 Foundation Grants — Wave 10 Recipients
Web3 Foundation is celebrating round 10 of grants accepted through its Open and General Grants programs, with 27 new…
- July 14, on the occasion of winning the 4th Slot Auction, we were invited to attend the Kusama #TwitterSpace event. Marvin and Hang (Phala CEO/Lead Dev) represented us and gave the audience a breakdown of the Khala bidding process and how the auction went down, followed by sharing Phala’s longer-term vision and plans.
- July 16, Phala shared an internal Khala Network Showcase video chat hosted by Phala council member Zoe. Marvin and Hang Yin explained Khala’s roadmap and new token economics online.Recap👇
- Hang Yin presented at a Substrate Seminar at Hangzhou, China, on July 17, held by Parity and OneBlock+. His talk: The Decentralized Computing Era is Coming.
Phala Network tackles the issue of trust in the computation cloud.
This blockchain is a trustless computation platform that enables massive cloud processing without sacrificing data confidentiality. Built around TEE-based privacy technology already embedded into modern processors, Phala Network’s distributed computing cloud is versatile and confidential. By separating the consensus mechanism from computation, Phala ensures processing power is highly scalable but not wasteful. Together, this creates the infrastructure for a powerful, secure, and scalable trustless computing cloud.
As a member parachain of the Polkadot cross-chain ecosystem, Phala will be able to provide computing power to other blockchain applications while protecting the data layer, enabling possibilities like privacy-protected DeFi trading positions and transaction history, co-computing DID confidential data, developing light-node cross-chain bridges, and more.
On-chain services currently being developed on Phala Network include Web3 Analytics: high-performance smart contracts from Phala to enable highly concurrent mass data analytics with privacy, paving the way for an alternative to Google Analytics that inherently respects individual confidentiality.