Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr.Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof. — V
V for Vendetta is a story of liberation, democracy, love, anti-totalitarian and ideological emancipation. It enlightened people not only with stunning imageries — dystopian talks, the explosion of House of Parliament, numerous Guy Fawkes masks, chic roses, Tchaikovsky, over 22,000 dominos — but also educated us with the power of “masks”: one can only stand out and speak for his true will with a “mask” on.
In Phala’s vision, the worldwide connection between all types of devices shall be the weapon against the centralists and monopolies who occupied the Web2.0 world. We shall “mask” the network and cage the powers, with blockchain and confidential computing.
And the most important step in this revolution is to inaugurate a hall to welcome and gather people of the same vision and build a bridge of liberated confidential computing power.
V for Vendetta
Thus, we decided to name Phala testnets after masked heroes:
May 2020：Testnet PoC-1: Null
Basic functionalities without decentralized nodes.
July 2020：Testnet PoC-2: Rorchach
Named after Rorchach, a lonely DC anti-hero masked with a Rorchach ink changed according to his mood, in memory of the sole a few computing nodes (different from Gatekeepers and Full nodes) running on testnet PoC-2 which are maintained by Phala team.
November 2020：Testnet PoC-3: Vendetta
Named after V, the masked anarchist in V for Vendetta, in memory of the stage that Phala is ready to accept the registration of various devices as computing nodes. The more, the better.
Another reason why we name it “Vendetta” is Phala testnet shares the same spirit with V for Vendetta:
- Low entrance threshold and massive participation;
- send an on-chain “mask”🎭 to everyone who joins Phala Network as a computing node;
- censorship-resistant decentralization.
On testnet Vendetta, you will be able to:
- Deploy your device and run it as a computing node on Phala Network as part of the confidential computing cloud.
- Mining PHA by being stably online and completing computing tasks
- Check your mining rewards
To deploy a device on Phala right now, please refer to
Phala Network Wiki
Phala Network guarantees the reliable execution of smart contracts while keeping the data secretly. Confidential…
Miner Event Page: https://poc3.phala.network/dashboard/
Also, you may explore Phala Network and experience previous functionalities as follow：
Detailed tutorials for beginners will be published soon by the launch of the “1605” Miner Race and the Vendetta Incentive Program.
More functionalities such as Miner Nomination, Liquid Democracy, and PhalaDAO will be live phase by phase after the launch of Phala pre-mainnet Darth Vader and mainnet.
Configuration of Computing Node Profits
Phala Computing Node Miners will receive two kinds of profits: online-running and computing task bounties.
In Phala Token economics, the daily prize pool for miners is fixed, among which 30% is the online-running prize pool which will be shared equally by all online miners and 50% is prepared for the miners who completed computing tasks.
Computing tasks are distributed randomly by Phala Network. Here are the factors that may affect your profits:
- CPU Points（mainly related to how many cores are enabled）
- Miner stakes
- Total online running time
- Historical slash records
And you may refer to the table down below to prepare your hardware：
- Nov 14 ~ Nov 22：Open testing (non-incentivized)
- Nov 23 ~ Dec 23：The “1605” Miner Race & Vendetta Incentive Program
- Dec 23 ~ Jan 23, 2021：Reward distribution and closing affairs of the program
The “1605” Miner Race
To practice a stress test and touch the utmost of Phala Network, Phala will hold the “1605” Miner Race to encourage massive participation with SGX-abled devices with a decent prize pool.
The number comes from Guy Fawkes Night, whose history begins with the events of 5 November 1605 O.S., when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London; and months later, the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot’s failure.
Though the original intention was to warn people using Guy’s fail rebellion, Guy was then recognized as a hero revolting authorities, primarily in the United Kingdom. In 2002, Guy was nominated into “the Greatest Heroes of United Kingdom” by a public vote organized by BBC. The Guy Fawkes Mask, designed by illustrator David Lloyd, was then become a symbol of equality and liberty, which is what Phala is pursuing and the reason we decided to name our miner race after it.
The rules and details of the “1605” Miner Race will be published by the end of next week. To participate in it, you may start imploying your devices on Phala Network right now and make sure everything goes well before the event starts.
Here are a few tips you might need:
- Phala will automatically stake a basic amount of tPHA for each miner on testnet Vendetta to lower the entrance threshold and encourage massive participation.
- To score a higher rank in the miner race, you may add stakes to your miner. Tutorials will be published with the launch of the event.
- Unlike before, to claim test tokens on Vendetta, you will need to swap tPHAs by burning ERC20 PHA. 0.1 ERC20 PHA = 100 tPHA. tPHA CANNOT be exchanged back to ERC20 PHA.
- Testnet data will be RESET before the launch of the miner race. It is not suggested to earn too much tPHA by burning ERC20 PHA. 100 tPHA should be enough for basic operation.