Scouting for Pillar’s Platform Associate
Help us build Boston’s next generation of pillar companies
One year into our fund, the importance of community is more clear than ever. From future founders to mentors and advisors for our portfolio companies, it’s all about people. That’s exactly why we’re on the hunt for a Platform Associate to help us continue to grow the Pillar community.
Pillar is an early-stage venture capital firm focused on building the next-generation of pillar companies in Boston. We started Pillar with the belief that there has to be a better way for founders and investors to align. We began with a simple hypothesis — that if we treat founders the way we would want to be treated, that good things will happen. That if we align every incentive, every action and decision to realize mutual benefit, we will engender trust, and from that, achieve profound results. It’s that simple.
We believe Boston is poised to lead in developing the next wave of frontier technologies, and invest in companies that leverage machine intelligence (artificial intelligence, machine learning, robots, drones, internet of things and security), blockchain, synthetic biology, and the intersection of machine learning and healthcare. We’re proud investors in companies like PillPack, Desktop Metal, Talla, Kuebix, Edgewise, and Soofa, and are always on the lookout for unstoppable founders.
Who We Are
Jamie Goldstein, who spent 18 years at North Bridge Venture Partners, founded our firm in collaboration with 16 world-class CEOs and executives from top Boston companies like Wayfair, TripAdvisor, DraftKings and Actifio. All are investors in our firm, but are also owners, bringing their insight and experience to our portfolio companies as advisors, mentors, board members and customers.
Goldstein is joined by Russ Wilcox (E Ink, Transatomic Power, Piper Therapeutics) and Sarah Hodges (RunKeeper, Intelligent.ly, Pluralsight) in managing the fund. Collectively, we have over 50 years’ experience building and scaling companies.
Who You Are
You’re deeply curious about people — understanding their strengths, motivations, and insight. You are energized by the chance to create unique experiences that bring people together to form communities and learn from one another. You are a storyteller, and enjoy sharing stories through your personal blog, podcast and other mediums. You create order out of chaos, developing systems to organize information in logical and accessible ways. You are meticulous, and thrive on creating structure, with attention to detail.
You think like an entrepreneur, continuously exploring new ideas and opportunities. You have empathy for founders, and have ideally spent time working for one to two years in a startup. You’re embedded in the startup ecosystem, and enjoy attending events and meeting new people working on bringing interesting new ideas to life. You are authentic, and operate with honesty and integrity.
Your Core Responsibilities
- Assist in planning portfolio events and coordinate all logistics
- Manage the Pillar community and contact database
- Identify opportunities to connect Pillar and our portfolio founders with strategic advisors
- Identify future founders and senior leaders with whom Pillar should connect
- Own the administration of marketing programs, including content, events and social
- Implement measures to recognize Pillar community members for their support of our founders and their teams
- Act as an ambassador for Pillar, ensuring that every person who comes into contact with our firm has a positive experience
- Report on key metrics to help Pillar improve and better support our founders
Your Key Qualities
- Experience cultivating communities
- Ability to craft unique events and experiences
- Ability to communicate with senior leaders with clarity and ease
- Strong project management skills
- Experience developing content marketing and social media campaigns
- Impeccable attention to detail
- High degree of integrity
- 1–2 years’ experience working in the startup community preferred
Ready to lead the charge in cultivating our community? Share your resume and a cover letter or video describing why you’re our next Platform Associate here.
Excited about the expansion of our team? 👏🏻 below ⬇️ to help spread the word!