This code of conduct was inspired by codes from WWGSD NZ, Geek Feminism, Kiwicon, and Kiwi Foo. Thanks to everyone who’s put time, love, and hard work into developing robust, inclusive codes of conduct. Ya’ll rock ❤
Social Enterprise Unconference is dedicated to providing a safe, inclusive, and harassment-free experience for all participants, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, age, ethnicity, disability, physical appearance, body size, and/or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of attendees in any form. Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the organisers.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- offensive verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination (related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion)
- deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- harassing photography or recording
- sustained disruption of talks or other events
- inappropriate physical contact
- unwelcome sexual attention
- advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behaviour are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behaviour, the organisers retain the right to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants, including warning the offender or expulsion from the event. Organisers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event, or making the environment hostile for any participants. Beer and wine is provided for those who wish to imbibe responsibly. It is a lubricant not a swimming pool. Participants who become intoxicated or otherwise disrupt the event may be expelled from the event without refund. No spirits or liquor (beyond beer and wine) are permitted at the event and may only be consumed during designated times. We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities (and in everyday life too!).
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it as soon as possible. Conference staff can be identified by their staff lanyards. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our event for everything. We want you to be happy at our Social Enterprise Unconference — all our attendees make our unconference a better place. You can make a report in person or anonymously.
You can make a personal report by:
- Calling or messaging one of the organisers listed on the welcome board and in your conference pack. These phones will be monitored throughout the event.
- Speaking to an organiser, identified by their lanyards, or to your small group leader.
When taking a personal report, our team will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. They may involve other team members to ensure your report is managed properly. Once safe, we’ll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we’ll handle it as respectfully as possible, and you can bring someone to support you. You won’t be asked to confront anyone and we won’t tell anyone who you are.
Our team will be happy to help you contact venue security, local law enforcement, support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.