Write for Product Management Insider
We’ll help you craft a powerful story for our 6,000+ readers
Product Management Insider is the premier publication and community for product managers on Medium. Since launching in 2017, we’ve published 400+ articles submitted by 50+ contributors, and have grown to nearly 6,000 followers. Our editorial team is led by Mike Fishbein, host of This is Product Management, the industry’s leading podcast.
The premier publication and community for product managers on Mediummedium.com
Contributing to Product Management Insider is an opportunity to reach our growing audience of product managers, build your brand within the industry, and join a vibrant community of writers and industry leaders, such as Nir Eyal, Brent Tworetzky, Richard Banfield, and many more. Our editorial team will collaborate with you to identity hard-hitting topics and ideas, edit and proofread drafts, and format your articles for success on Medium.
Our editorial guidelines are designed with our readers’ interests in mind. They’re based on our experience publishing 400+ articles and continuously experimenting on new topics and formats.
What should I write about?
Our readers love to read stories that help them improve the skills that they use each day. We’ve found that our top stories include one or more of the following elements:
- Actionable techniques for an important aspect of modern product management
- Stories and personal examples to illustrate lessons learned
- Unique perspectives, philosophies, and opinions
What should I not write about about?
Product Management Insider features articles written by product people who are working in the trenches everyday — not just high-profile thought leaders. Our editorial team will help you move your stories to be in line with the following guidelines:
- Share your experiences, but don’t be overly promotional
- Get to the point, but don’t gloss over important information or context
- Have an opinion, but don’t forget to substantiate with data or your experiences
What are good examples to model?
We strongly recommend articles that are between 400–1,000 words and include key takeaways or a conclusion at the end. Below are three articles that offer strong models and structures to learn from:
How Do You Decide What Belongs In Your Product?medium.com
People generally have a hard time understanding the objective role that product people play. When other people on our…medium.com
Are you in the process of interviewing for a position in product management? The answers to these six questions will…medium.com
How should I format my article?
Medium is one of the best designed websites on the Internet. It offers several formatting features that help readers improve the design and readability of their articles. Please include the formatting elements, all of which we can help you with:
- A strong title that describes the benefits of reading the article and attracts attention.
- A clear and concise thesis within the first six sentences.
- Engaging images that help readers visualize important concepts.
- Headings that distinguish key topics within your article.
When and how should I submit an article?
It’s never too soon to talk to us about becoming a Contributor. Our team will help you find topic ideas, draft articles, and format them for success. Send an email with the subject “PM Insider Submission” to Mike at mike.fishbein [at] alphahq [dot] com.
- Don’t know what to write about? No problem. Email us and we’ll help.
- If you’d like us to edit and proofread your “MVP,” send us a Google Doc.
- If your article is ready to ship, upload it to Medium, and send it as a DRAFT before you publish it.
Can I submit an article that…
- Is already in another publication? Only if it is your or your company’s publication. We do not accept articles being switched from other product management publications.
- Has a call to action for readers? Yes, so long as the CTA is short and sweet, and not powered by upscri.be (we can only use one upscri.be embed per articles)
- Is already published off of Medium or will be published elsewhere after Medium? We will make a determination on a case-by-case basis.
We’re looking forward to featuring your story!