How to Submit Your Podcast to Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn, and Spotify
You’ve got your first episodes recorded and ready to go live but you’re not sure where to submit them so anyone can find your show.
Well here’s a step-by-step guide for some of the key directories to submit your podcast to.
The biggest of the bunch and the one with arguably the largest share of listeners across Mac and iOS devices, Apple has been a major player in the distribution game since 2005 and is showing no signs of slowing. Apple recently rebranded the podcast wing of iTunes as, simply, Apple Podcasts and submitting your podcast to its directory couldn’t be simpler.
- Head to podcastsconnect.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID, or create one if you haven’t already.
- Hit the big ➕ button in the top left corner, enter your podcasts’ RSS feed, and then “Verify”.
- As long as your feed is valid you should see your podcast’s details like artwork, categories, host etc
- Press the “Submit” button and you’re all done.
- Wait up for email confirmation from Apple that your show has been accepted into the directory
One of the most popular alternatives to the default Apple podcast app according to Nick Quah and rightly so. It’s been the go-to podcast app for Android users in lieu of Google’s absence until recently.
To opt-in to Stitcher you register as a Content Provider also known as a Partner.
- Create a Content Provider profile here
- Once you’re logged in to your newly created account click the “Add Show” button
- Add your RSS feed and show details and submit
- Wait for approval.
Stitcher offers its own analytics portal within your account which can be great for seeing how your episodes are doing on the platform.
Taking a leaf out of Apple’s book by including podcasts in their own products, Google Play Music now offers podcasts, though currently only for US users of the service.
There are ways of getting around this with a VPN until the feature is released worldwide which you can check out.
Since Android is the most used mobile operating system it would be unwise to overlook Google’s potential reach in being able to distribute podcasts so getting in early could be beneficial to your show in the long run.
- Go to https://play.google.com/music/podcasts/publish
- Login with your Google account and accept the Terms & Conditions
- Click “Add a Podcast” and enter your RSS details
- Verify your email and confirm your ownership of the feed
- Click “Publish Podcast” and wait for approval
Do you own an Amazon Echo or one of the other Alexa enabled devices to listen to podcasts? Well if you do then Alexa is getting those podcasts from TuneIn.
Submitting to TuneIn is a really straightforward process too And before you know it you can be asking Alexa to play your podcast.
- Go to TuneIn’s podcast submission page
- Fill in the required feed details
- Wait for approval
Head on over to the Sonics website if you’re looking for help with your podcast. I’ve worked with Silicon Valley startups and creative business owners alike on their podcasts.
If you enjoyed reading this, please give this piece a 💚 to help share it with others.