Salaams! We are back for another Ramadan. It is now the fifth year of our writing group, and it has grown to 55 Muslim-ish and Muslim adjacent folks. People have been resparked and slowly sharing their poetry and art. It has turned into quite the beautiful community space.
Though our writing group, which is facilitated through a Facebook group, is maxed out, I wanted to encourage everyone who’s always wanted to participate in Poetry-A-Day for Ramadan to make their own space. The rules we created for our group was created to create a safe space full of creativity for a community often targeted with violence and fear. Here are our rules, and maybe you can be inspired to start your own creative space.
1) write a poem (prose/paint) a day
2) If you feel like sharing, please post it either in this group, or a link to your blog/photo/site
3) At minimum share one piece a week in this group, four pieces total…
4) Please introduce yourself — if you don’t introduce yourself, even if you have been in this group before. You will be kicked out without an intro — you have until Day #7
5) If you want to add someone to the group, please talk to them first and let them know the rules. Then add them through FB — I’ll send them an email just to be sure they know the rules. And then I’ll approve the addition. Please understand that we are trying to create a safe and creative space of sharing, spirituality and inspiration. I’m closing additions to the group after Day #7.
6) If you want the piece to be published to https://medium.com/poetry-a-day-for-ramadan, tag me in the comment of your post.
As always, if you are writing a poem a day for Ramadan, please feel free to submit it this site for publication. You can also publish on your own site and share the link directly to me at Tazzystar [at] gmail.
May your fast be easy.