Mobile Berlin — Update 2016
On the verge of 2015 I published a post about mobile companies form Berlin on Medium. Quite a lot of things have happened in the ecosystem since then. It’s time for an update!
Let’s start with a brief recap of what happened to some of the startups I included last year:
- Lovoo grew from 20m to 40m users.
- EyeEm raised $18M.
- Wunderlist was acquired by Microsoft for +$100m.
- Clue raised a $7m Series A from USV and Mosaic.
- Kitchen Stories* raised $1.8M and crossed 5M downloads.
- Number26 raised a $10m+ Series A.
- Remerge* raised a $3M series A and opened a US office.
Not too shabby for some 12 months!
*Part of the P9Family.
I am happy to see more and more mobile things happening in Berlin. Interestingly enough though, at least half of the above companies raised money from US-based investors. This shows the increasing interest of international investors in the Berlin scene— but might also mean that German based investors are too slow. ;-)
Curious to see where these startups will go and what else 2016 will bring us. If I forgot an interesting company or you want to chat on mobile in general, please feel free to ping me!