A Political Writing Pub You Should Be Reading
And why people are flocking to add their own voices to the mix
I started a political publication for a few reasons:
- To give writers a safe space to express their opinions on politics, news, society and issues that are important to them.
- To encourage healthy political discourse.
- To give a platform for those who feel their voices are unheard.
- To encourage writers to be brave in their writing and to experiment with investigative journalism.
- To create a community where voices matter, regardless of agreeability and source.
I wanted voices from across the political spectrum. Voices from around the world. Voices from all genders and religious backgrounds. What all of these have in common are:
- SHARED HUMANITY | HUMAN EXPERIENCE
Everything else is a matter of the lens through which we, as individuals, see the world around us.
Here at Politically Speaking, we celebrate all of those perspectives by:
- Being tolerant of voices that differ from our own.
- Appreciating the writing value and the humanity of all of our writers, regardless of political perspective.
- Being kind to each other.
- Supporting each other and encouraging brave writing.
So far, what was a mere thought to me as I was driving down the road one unremarkable morning on my way to a chiropractic appointment, became the phrase I could not run away from: Politically Speaking. The idea forming, I realized it was a call to answer, so I did.
Today, let us celebrate reaching the milestone of over 1000 followers for this publication.
I am pleased that we have such a diverse body of writers — and I am adding more writers each day! Our readership is growing because people need a space where people speak. We all need this space where we can be humans who react and think and create and share their own experiences and opinions, freely and bravely.
WE SEE. WE SPEAK.
Thank you to our writers and to our readers who are making this publication so successful. Thank you to our editors who work very hard to screen submissions, assist writers, and publish our great pieces.
Election 2020 is fast approaching and if you are sick to death of all the television ads but want to engage in a healthier, more “real” political discourse, we welcome you to read the work published here at Politically Speaking. And while you are at it, thank a writer for exercising their voice and sharing their honest perspective. We certainly need more of that in this world right now!
Thank you for being here.
Christina M. Ward, Founder