DOT Features #1 Mobile applications for Polkadot: Polkawallet, ImToken, and Parity Signer.
Today we talk about mobile applications for the Polkadot ecosystem. We can divide it into two categories, the wallets that provide the ability to hold and earn a commission for staking. The second category is the applications that provide the special features of Polkadot life — staking, governance, voting, and treasury. We will talk about the second group and additionally about Parity Signer.
Polkawallet is the best full functional mobile application — Polkawallet, is not just a wallet, this is a fully functional application. It provides cross-chain asset management, convenient staking, and governance. Most important, the private key is owned by the user.
Polkawallet specializes only in the Polkadot Ecosystem, it gives a visually attractive experience, open-source, and created by community members.
Features of Polkawallet:
- Cross-chain asset management, Manage Relaychain & Parachain assets, anywhere, anytime.
- Intuitive staking options.
- Convenient governance: never miss an opportunity to participate in governance.
- Cross-chain communication.
But remember, mobile wallets are not nearly as secure as desktop or hardware wallets so we definitely do not recommend storing a significant amount of tokens on your phone. Polkawallet can be installed through Google Play and App Store.
After installing click on ‘Create Account’. The process is basically the same as for the web version, fill in a username and password, and keep the seed in a safe place.
Let’s look at how to nominate in Polkawallet. First, you need to select Polkadot as the network to which the application will connect. Then go to the staking section and click on ‘Bond Funds’. Here we have the same settings as in Polkadot JS, we just select the number of tokens to nominate and confirm the transaction. In the next step, all you have to do is sign and submit again. Enter your password and the nomination will be processed.
The Polkawallet is an almost full-functional application that can be used instead of a desktop application.
This wallet is an application that can conveniently save and transfer DOT, at the same time can be used for staking and voting.
Let's create new Polkadot and Kusama accounts & backup via Mnemonic phrase. Press ‘Add Wallet’, and choose KSM or DOT. Add a name and password, save the mnemonic phrase to paper. We recommend you not to use a screen-shot.
To send and receive KSM or DOT you handle it like any normal desktop wallet. In your wallet, you can check the transaction history and portfolio prices.
Let’s see how to stake/bond and unbond KSM or DOT:
In ImToken wallet we have the same settings as in Polkadot JS, so we just select the number of tokens to nominate and confirm the transaction. In the next step, all you have to do is ‘Sign and Submit’. Enter the password for your wallet and the nomination will be processed. It needs some time to proceed, so be patient.
You can be part of the network by participating in Polkadot and Kusama governance and voting. Vote on proposals, vote for council members and treasury. Press vote, choose the referenda, and check the info. You can also see the info about governance and the voting process of council members.
ImToken it’s made by a professional team with attention to details, but Polkawallet is more concentrated on the ecosystem.
The next application is something you probably never used before. It's a cold wallet by Parity, a cold but cool application that only a few people know about and we now reveal it to you!
3. Parity Signer
Parity Signer is not actually a wallet or a fully functional application, it just converts your old smartphone to your private keys keeper for Polkadot and the Ethereum Ecosystem. How does it work:
- Download your Parity Signer from the App Store or Google Play.
- Now you can turn your smartphone into a hardware wallet. With Parity Signer, you keep your private keys secure and sign transactions easily. You also can use it as a hardware wallet for Ethereum and Ethereum-like blockchains. All data is transmitted over QR-codes.
- Download, go offline and create your keys.
- Start by taking your old smartphone. Restore it to factory settings, then turn off all Wifi and Bluetooth by going into airplane mode once and for all.
- Broadcast to the blockchain. — https://polkadot.js.org/apps/
- Press add with QR-code.
- Scan the QR code with Signer to add the account.
Let's see how to send some funds from the account that is protected by Signer:
- Press send and choose the address you want to send it to.
- Sign with the QR code. The system generates the QR code, and show it to Signer. Scan the QR code provided by Parity Signer to release your transaction to the blockchain and send your funds. Very convenient and safe!
Your private keys stay on your offline smartphone.
Those were our favorite mobile applications. The next release will cover the 3 best desktop applications that we like.
Written by PromoTeam
What is PromoTeam?
PromoTeam — is the international team of Polkadot fans with experience in different activities: sales growth, business communications and strategy, promotion, advertising, mathematics, programming, entrepreneurship, and many others. Our main task — increase the value of the Substrate ecosystem by involving many people focused on scaling the product and community. Our goal — to give the Polkadot and Substrate community the real utility to promote Substrate projects.