Time and time again, we have been asked what individuals and companies can do to create more diverse and inclusive workplaces. Even though there are no recipes, there are a few simple things, that can be done and that can really make a difference. We share, in this article, some of those things, with links to help you better understand what we mean. If you need help with any of this, let us know!
Understand the situation and be transparent about it
- Release an annual Diversity Report. Look here and here for inspiration.
- Release Pay Gap Information and an Action Plan to deal with it. Look here for inspiration.
- Promote open internal discussions about diversity & inclusion. Create a slack channel for this discussion and use the company’s All-Hands to address the issues.
- Create a code of conduct. Check this guide.
Train managers and recruiters on Unconscious Bias. Start here to see how bias you are.
Adjust your hiring practices
- Rewrite job descriptions: mitigate bias by removing irrelevant information. See here how.
- Select a diverse hiring panel and follow clear procedures and criteria.
Incentivise Mentorship & Sponsorship Programs
- Create formal Mentorship Programs. See how you can make it work.
- Support and Incentivise Sponsorship. Check here why.
For the leaders of the company
- Be vocal about the importance of building a more gender diverse & inclusive team. Check here why diversity matters.
- Nominate a Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer and create a specific budget to support their actions. Learn more about this role.
- Take complains and reports seriously. Define and enforce processes and procedures to deal with them.
This list of first published on our monthly newsletter. Subscribe here if you want to learn more about our work and upcoming initiatives.