Become an Effective Software Engineering Manager
by James Stanier
Table of Contents
- The Righteous Path
- Management and Leadership
- Your Journey
- The Outline of This Book
- So, What’s Next?
- Part I. Getting Oriented
1. A New Adventure
2. Manage Yourself First
- Let’s Get Organized!
- How to Categorize Your Activities to Feel Productive
- How to Measure Your Output as a Manager
- OK, I’m Ready!
- Part II. Working with Individuals
3. Interfacing with Humans
- Week In, Week Out
- How to Prepare for One-to-Ones
- Contracting: Your First One-to-Ones
- What to Talk About and How to Do It
- How to Take Notes and Assign Actions
- Remember: You Are Not a Therapist
- OK, What’s Next?
5. The Right Job for the Person
- What Motivates People?
- The Zone of Proximal Development
- The Cathedral and the Bazaar
- A Review Before Reviews
6. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
- Myth Busting
- How to Prepare for Performance Reviews
- What to Do on the Day
- How to Talk About Money
- Where to Next?
7. Join Us!
8. Game Over
- People Leaving Is Normal
- When Staff Leave
- Fighting the Good Fight
- Making Staff Leave
- Enough Goodbyes Already!
9. How to Win Friends and Influence People
- Going Beyond Your Team
- Building Your Network
- Giving Back
- Time to Take It Up a Level
- Part III. The Bigger Picture
10. Humans Are Hard
11. Projects Are Hard
12. The Information Stock Exchange
13. Letting Go of Control
- Transcending Tasks
- Escaping the False Productivity Trap
- What You Do Outside of Work Matters
- Letting Go…of This Chapter
14. Good Housekeeping
- Communication Dictates Software Design
- Breaking Silos with Guilds
- Encouraging a Culture of Talks
- Turning Problems into Learning Opportunities
- Tools to Solve Common Problems
- Now Let’s Organize Our Careers
15. Dual Ladders
- Individual Contributor Track
- Management Track
- Creating a Progression Framework
- Career Progression Troubleshooting
- Time to Tackle the Big Issues
16. The Modern Workplace
- Diversity and Inclusion
- The Shift Toward Remote Working
- Work-Life Balance
- Notes on Culture
- To the Land of Unicorns
- Software Is Eating the World
- Opportunities for Managers
- Why Management at Startups Is Critical
- What Does Your Future Hold?
18. The Crystal Ball
- Life, the Universe, and Everything in Between
- Your Vision
- Your Plan
- Performing the Exercise with Your Staff
- That’s All Folks!
Copyright © 2020, The Pragmatic Bookshelf.