Governor blames ‘God’ for Meningitis outbreak; Thousands protest at the National Assembly and more
The casualty from the meningitis outbreak in Nigeria increased to 336. Of this figure, at least 215 died in Zamfara State. Read our update on the meningitis outbreak as well as other top ten stories that trended on Tuesday.
The number of people who have died from suspected cases of Cerebro Spinal Meningitis in Zamfara State has risen to 215.
The Nigerian Centre for Disease Control had earlier on Tuesday said at least 336 have died from the disease across Nigeria.
Abdullahi Shinkafi, the Secretary to the Zamfara State Government, said the disease has claimed 215 lives in the last two months in the state.
The House of Representatives has urged the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB to extend the one month deadline given to applicants for the 2017 UTME exercise by at least another month to create more space for prospective applicants.
The call was contained in a motion on Tuesday raised by Danburan Nuhu (Kano-APC).
President Muhammadu Buhari is to inaugurate the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) 2017–2020 on Wednesday, presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina, disclosed in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.
Mr. Adesina, who is the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the president, said the inauguration of the plan was in furtherance of the current administration’s drive to sustain and build on the successes so far recorded in tackling corruption, improving security and re-revamping the economy.
The British Government will give the Federal Government information about Nigerians who own property in that country next year, a presidential aide has said.
Bolaji Owosanoye, Executive Secretary, Presidential Advisory Committee against Corruption, said in New York that negotiations on this had reached advanced stage.
Mr. Owosanoye said the measure being taken by the governments of both countries was a step forward in the fight against corruption.
Thousands of protesters have blocked the entrance to the National Assembly in Abuja, demanding the immediate reinstatement of Ali Ndume, senator representing Borno south in the Senate.
Mr. Ndume was suspended last week by the Senate for triggering investigations into allegations of forgery against the senate president, Bukola Saraki, and Kogi senator, Dino Melaye.
News reports accused Mr. Saraki of importing a Range Rover SUV without paying appropriate import duty, and attempting to clear the vehicle with falsified papers.
The Nigerian government is set to begin online registration of unemployed Nigerians from April 5, PREMIUM TIMES can report.
A statement released, Monday, by the Deputy Director, Information and Public Relations of the National Directorate of Employment, NDE, Edmund Onwuliri, said the registration was aimed at collecting up-to-date data of unemployed Nigerians.
The #BringBackOurGirls group has drawn the attention of Nigerians to the silence of the federal government to a letter highlighting the group’s key observations and suggestions on how to secure the return of the remaining 195 Chibok schoolgirls still in Boko Haram captivity.
The group claimed the letter was delivered to the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, with copies sent to the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, and the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, following a guided tour of Sambisa forest in January by some of its members.
The Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board, has suspended three senior Prisons officers, over the controversial release of former Adamawa governor, Bala Ngilari, recently jailed for corruption.
The affected officers are Peter Tenkwa, the Controller of Prisons for Adamawa State and Abubakar Abaka, the Deputy Comptroller and John Bukar, a Superintendent of Prisons.
A former Chief of Army Staff, Ishaya Bamaiyi, has given a vivid account of how the then senior officers engaged in the battle to succeed former military head of state, Sani Abacha, who died in the early hours of June 8, 1998.
Mr. Bamaiyi, a retired lieutenant general, gave the account in his book, “Vindication of a General” which was launched last Thursday in Abuja.
The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment has approved the sum of N756.3 million for disbursement to 81 Nigerian innovators as part of Federal Government’s economic empowerment initiatives.
Okechukwu Enelamah, the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, said this in Abuja on Tuesday during the grant award ceremony.