Obsidian: 2022 Index of Resources
A productivity cornucopia of tutorials, tips, and templates
Welcome to an index of the stories I’ve written, and resources compiled on and around Obsidian, the app that describes itself as a “a powerful knowledge base on top of a local folder of plain text Markdown files.”
Here’s where you will find the complete list of articles I’ve written about Obsidian, each (hopefully) preceded by a brief summary note. They’re listed in order of publication date, so the most recent stories will always be at the top.
For an on-the-ground update of my Obsidian-flavoured adventures with plain text productivity, check out the Plain Text, Paper-Less Digest.
Things You Should Know About My Approach
- I’m committed to digital self-reliance, and therefore to plain text. Not interested in keeping vital data in apps that could one day lock me out.
- I’m striving to balance my desires to simplify my methods and to learn geeky new things.
- I’m deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. The principles are the same for all platforms, but you won’t find any Windows or Android gems of wisdom here.
Here’s a list of resources I’ve found helpful. Do you have any other awesome Obsidian goodies bookmarked? Let me know in the comments what they are and why you like them, and I’ll check them out.
- My free Obsidian Planner demo vault, on Gumroad
- Ellane’s List of Obsidian Stories by other Medium writers . Articles I’ve read and saved for future reference.
- How to get started with Obsidian, from scratch — Nicole van der Hoeven (video)
- Beginner’s Guide to Obsidian — Arunkumar Rajasekaran
- Practically Paperless With Obsidian, a blog series by Jamie Rubin
- How to embed widgets and videos into Obsidian — video
- Obsidian Starter Kit — Sébastien Dubois. (paid resource) I bought this one. Even though I’m not a beginner, I find it helpful for getting my note making foundations right.
- Obsidian Power User Fundamentals — Santi Younger (paid course) I don’t own it, but it’s on my wishlist.
- Obsidian Roundup Newsletter, by Eleanor Konik. Amazingly informative, once-a-week geekiness. The best stories are behind a well-deserved paywall
- Obsidian Reddit
- Official Obsidian Forum
- Why the Obsidian app is the centre of David Sparks’ universe — video. David is a Mac and Obsidian guru, and all-round great guy.
Not a Medium member? Get unlimited access for $5 a month — or less, with an annual subscription. Here’s my referral link: you pay the same but I get a small (much appreciated) commission. Link not working? Go to miscellaneplans.medium.com/membership