Cannabis and Artificial Intelligence Technologies
Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning are revolutionizing the marijuana (cannabis) industry.
Machine Learning and Deep Learning are a growing and diverse fields of Artificial Intelligence (AI) which studies algorithms that are capable of automatically learning from data and making predictions based on data. Machine Learning and Deep Learning are two of the most exciting technological areas of AI today. Each week there are new advancements, new technologies, new applications, and new opportunities. It’s inspiring, but also overwhelming. That’s why we created this guide to help you keep pace with all these exciting developments.
Whether you’re currently employed in the cannabis industry, stakeholder, municipality, licensed producer, potential retailer, law enforcement, or just pursuing an interest in the subject, you will find this publication very useful.
AI Research in Marijuana Industry
In order to take advantage of exponential power of artificial intelligence, research is the first place to look. Luckily, we have done the hard work and compiled our favourite research papers as it relates to financial industry.
- Discover new cannabis strains based on chemical families and compound properties using artificial intelligence (Ballell et al., 2013)
Automated Marijuana Operations
- Recommend malting setting and schedules based on CO2, temperature, humidity and PH using artificial intelligence and Internet of Things (IoT’s) (Dolci, 2017)
Impact of Twitter Data
- Predict stock markets based on social media mentions of #marijuana using data mining (Dogle et al., 2015)
- Predict Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) based on social mentions of marijuana using data mining (Dai et al., 2017)
AI Products in Marijuana Industry
There are many companies that are already using AI, machine learning and deep learning in their products and services. Here are some of our industry favourites.
- Track the growth rate of cannabis plants in their vegetative stage using machine vision and artificial intelligence (Motorleaf)
Custom Tailored Marijuana Strains
- Find weed strains best suited to treat symptoms (insomnia, asthma and cancer) by reading peer-reviewed medical journals and surfacing relevant studies on cannabinoids, the active compounds in marijuana (PotBot)
- Offer artificial intelligence powered ecommerce personalization and delivery solutions, including personalized search, product recommendations, and advanced data analytics to online retailers of marijuana (Findify)
Robotic Delivery of Marijuana Products
- Use wheeled delivery robots to perform marijuana deliveries based on algorithms powered by artificial intelligence (Starship).
Reduced Business Risk in Marijuana
- Use artificial intelligence to predict cannabis stock market changes and identify patterns that can be used to make more accurate forecasts and investment decisions. (VantagePoint)
- Use AI, predictive, and machine learning algorithms to assess business risk for marijuana business stakeholders. The artificial intelligence uses compliance data to predict which categories a marijuana license holder is most at risk to fail in. (Adherence Compliance)
Enhanced Customer Service Using Chatbots
- BudGenius uses cannabis test results from its own testing facility to gather data about each marijuana strain, and using artificial intelligence technology, it merges that data with scientific trial data and real patient user experiences. Machine learning allows BudGenius to improve each time a new scientific trial is released, and each time a patient submits a product review. Dispensaries can also use BudGenius to help their patients choose the best products. (BudGenius)
AI Ideas in Marijuana Industry
There are many artificial intelligence technologies can be applied in the cannabis industry. Here are some ideas that come to mind.
Energy Consumption & Labour Cost
- Predict energy consumed and labour cost by cannabis operation using environmental conditions, nutrient feed, pH, CO2, light spectrum.
Identify Unhealthy Marijuana Leaves
- Identify chronic sickness by creating a human-level diagnosis tool for cannabis plants (ChronicSickness)
Artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning are becoming essential tools of leading marijuana companies. Any company, in cannabis or other industries, that leverages artificial intelligence will gain significant competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Start an AI project
At Produvia, we produce intelligent software. We specialize in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning. Let’s chat! Visit us at produvia.com