The Code-Free Revolution

Tom Söderlund
Jun 19, 2016 · 2 min read

There’s been an awakening. Have you felt it?

Image for post
Image for post

Building apps without coding has been a long time joke among my more technical friends. The very idea is belittled, ridiculed, dismissed.

I blame Dreamweaver. Adobe’s early attempt at a WYSIWYG web creation tool backfired, it’s bloated output created a distrust in visual programming tools that still hasn’t healed, 20 years after its introduction.

Only . We’re still early in the digital transformation and many industries are yet to be digitized. Also, and are still growing 30% yearly. In short, there’s no way those 0.5% can support the rising demand for apps and services.

I don’t think the solution is to teach everybody to code. System thinking, logical problem solving — all this is great, but coding is not productive enough for most people. Code is too low-level, the equivalent of requiring a mechanics degree to drive a car. We’ve had the , but coding hasn’t changed much in that time. Computers need to think more like humans, not the other way around.

“Computers need to think more like humans, not the other way around.”

But suddenly the code-free tools are everywhere: and . and . and . Also, learning resources and communities are rising: and , for example.

And the success stories followed, e.g. or how .

So, are software engineers becoming redundant? Not at all, they are just pushed up the chain to more challenging programming tasks. Instead of styling CSS in WordPress themes, they can now focus on building better algorithms and tools.

I think this is the beginning of something big. It’s a democratization of technology. It won’t come over night, but it will be a beautiful thing.

PS. Would love your feedback. Join the conversation with hashtag #CodeFree

Programming for everybody (no code)

This is about the no code/low code revolution.

Tom Söderlund

Written by

I build tools for creativity 🧩. CEO of @Weld_io , a #nocode tool for marketers. Father of two. Feminist. Fan of espresso and movies. Still learning.

Programming for everybody (no code)

This is about the no code/low code revolution. Only 0.5% of the population knows how to code. What about the other 99.5%?

Tom Söderlund

Written by

I build tools for creativity 🧩. CEO of @Weld_io , a #nocode tool for marketers. Father of two. Feminist. Fan of espresso and movies. Still learning.

Programming for everybody (no code)

This is about the no code/low code revolution. Only 0.5% of the population knows how to code. What about the other 99.5%?

Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch

Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore

Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store