13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
Going into this movie, I had very low expectations. I knew coming in that Michael Bay was directing it. He has definitely destroyed Transformers for me in the big screen and I didn’t really want to see any more of his work but when I saw the trailer for 13 Hours, I was pulled in by the story.
I have very little to no background on global politics and wars and uprisings in other countries so I have no political biases when I saw the film.
The Good Points:
- The action was great. It took a while to get into it but the sequences and the tension that you feel in the third act of the film was really palpable.
- The comedic banter between the characters. Some say it was too much but I think it was okay giving little breaks in the movie. I would also think that this grounded the movie more as you see the relationship between the soldiers during these times. I really think that this kind of banter would be normal between soldiers in intense situations to calm them down.
- I like how David Costabile (Bob) played his role as a bureaucratic power-tripping asshole. I really remembered him for his portrayal in the tv series SUITS as Daniel Hardman. If you hated his guts after seeing the movie then he did his job.
- I could not even begin to imagine what these people went through during their time in Benghazi but I think the movie
The Bad Points:
- I just think the first part of the movie was a bit long… I really wanted to the movie to get into the meat of the action sooner but other than this I think that it was a great film.
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars