Someone drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge and continued on to nearby Borough Market where the 3 occupants got out of the van and stabbed several people. The incident occurred around 10PM Saturday evening.
- All three men were wearing what appeared to be explosive vests that turned out to be fake
- The three men were shot dead by police
- 8* people were killed by the 3 men but it is unclear whether the victims were struck by the van or stabbed.
- This is the third mass casualty incident in 3 months in Britain, following the March 22 2017 Westminster attack and the May 22 2017 Manchester Arena bombing.
London Bridge and Borough Market
[IMAGE]Map and Overhead View of London Locations
Eye Witness Account
[QUOTE]BBC reporter Holly Jones
“A white van driver came speeding — probably about 50mph — veered off the road into the crowds of people who were walking along the pavement. He swerved right round me and then hit about five or six people.”
Image of Men Entering Borough Market
Prime Minister Theresa May’s Statement
She proposed four solutions to prevent further incidents of this sort:
- “[need to] turn people’s minds away from this violence and make them understand that our values — pluralistic British values — are superior to anything offered by the preachers and supporters of hate.”
- “[need] to reach international agreements that regulate cyberspace to prevent the spread of extremist and terrorism planning.”
- “our country needs to come together to take on this extremism, and we need to live our lives not in a series of separated, segregated communities, but as one truly United Kingdom.”
- “we need to review Britain’s counter-terrorism strategy to make sure the police and security services have all the powers they need.”
Updated Jun 7 2017 to reflect new death toll