Travel Tips: Save Without Skimping
At GlobeOne, we believe enriching experiences are one of the keys to living a meaningful and productive life and travel is one of the best ways to have those experiences. Through travel, you can discover the world and even yourself.
“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page,” Saint Augustine.
The good news is you don’t have to be rich to travel well, but you do have to make smart decisions if you’re on a limited budget. To help guide you on your journey, here are some helpful tips that will save you time and money:
- Booking Travel — According to a study conducted by CheapAir, you should aim to book your flight 54 days in advance to get the absolute lowest price. Can’t hit 54 days exactly? No problem, book your flight within the “prime booking window” of 112 to 21 days before your trip for other bargain fares. Additional tips include: travel in low season, fly indirect if possible, and mix and match flights to find the cheapest deal.
- International Budget Airlines — New international low-fare airline options make it easier than ever to travel the world on a budget. Volaris is a Mexican airline with more than 60 destinations in Mexico, USA, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Puerto Rico, offering you a low cost flight with the opportunity to customize your trip by adding extras. Norwegian Air serves both coasts and with connections to Europe and Asia. Iceland-based WOW Airlines offers cheap connections to Europe. Flag carrier of Ireland, Aer Lingus, offers cheap flights to Europe as well.
- Accommodations — With the rise of the sharing economy, you can bypass expensive hotels and rent a private room or home via Airbnb. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try couchsurfing and stay with a host rent-free. Different from the traditional hotel experience, hosts who open their homes to you may act as your personal tour guide and show you the world through their eyes.
- Get Appy — There are plenty of great apps to help you organize your trip, find your way, and save money.
- Hopper — Hopper predicts future flight prices with 95% accuracy.
- TripSee — Are you an organization freak? Then TripSee is for you. Type in a destination and get a list of hotspots around town to help you plan your adventure.
- Triposo — Replace your cumbersome guidebooks with this smart travel guide. Download guides to your smartphone to access maps, local tips and personalized suggestions, all without the internet.
- Save on Foreign Currency — Withdrawing money abroad can be expensive and although using a debit card can be cheaper than a credit card, most banks will charge for each cash withdrawal in addition to a commission fee. It’s better to withdraw a large sum of money to avoid additional fees. Better yet, get your currency before your trip to secure the best conversion rate.