Reboot Recommends: An Unconventional List of 15 Non-Business Books for Women Entrepreneurs
Setting out to start your own business or career in startup-land is a worthwhile, big-deal move for any entrepreneur. Bringing our ideas into the world successfully means a variety of things. Here at Reboot, we believe you need a marriage of practical skills, radical self-inquiry, and shared experiences to lead well and be resilient while doing so. There are many books out there on scaling, managing your board, being a CEO; all of which are great and have their place. However, each person will lead and build differently because of who they are and what internal metrics by which they lead their life.
Being the leader you want to be is less about fitting into the mold determined by any of the startup books, and more about becoming who you are (a big process, that). Sussing out what is important to and for you means many conversations with your heart. The world changes when you come home to yourself and trust sensation of your inner knowing. It’s deciphering where are you leading from and what’s leading you, so that you can find and recognize your own voice, which is always with you through meetings, fundraising, and the whole ride of entrepreneurial happenings.
Uncovering who you are (where you came from, what you need, what you’d like, what drives you and why), learning how to untangle how yourself from non-useful patterns from the past so you are free for your present and future, and recognizing what your inner knowing — the seat of your power — feels like are all incredibly useful methods, tools, and precursors to being a great leader and leading a great life.
The following is a list (in no particular order) of unconventional reads, particularly for women entrepreneurs, that can open up new dimensions of understanding who we are, how we got here, how we are in relationship to ourselves and others and the world, and how to navigate our body’s many ways of knowing.
by Nayyirah Waheed
- Wild Feminine: Finding Power, Spirit & Joy in the Female Body
by Tami Lynn Kent
- Women Who Run With the Wolves
by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
by Michelle Obama
- If Women Rose Rooted: The Journey to Authenticity and Belonging
by Sharon Blackie
- The Little Girl Who Gave Zero F*cks
by Amy Kean
- Vagina: A New Biography
by Naomi Wolf
- When Women Were Birds: Fifty-four Variations on Voice
by Terry Tempest Williams
- Money Magic: Clearing Your Path to Money, Time, and Happiness
by Michelle Masters
- Coming Home to Myself: Reflections for Nurturing a Woman’s Body and Soul
by Marion Woodman and Jill Mellick
- The Eden Project: In Search of the Magical Other
by James Hollis
- The Wounded Woman: Healing the Father-Daughter Relationship
by Linda Schierse Leonard
- Fathers’ Daughters: Breaking the Ties That Bind
by Maureen Murdoch
- Under Saturn’s Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men
by James Hollis
- We Do: Saying Yes to a Relationship of Depth, True Connection, and Enduring Love
by Stan Tatkin