Redwood City’s Fair Oaks Branch Library Renovation and Expansion Construction and Temporary Location Coming Soon!
Construction begins February 1 and the temporary location will be open and available on February 5.
The Fair Oaks Branch Library will be expanding and renovating to better serve you! This project will expand the library from 3,200 square feet to 3,800 square feet. Once complete, the library will offer new programs, a new educational play area for children, new amenities for all to enjoy, and more.
This project is being funded by the County of San Mateo Measure K, with additional funding support from the City of Redwood City and the Redwood City Library Foundation. In early January, the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved $500,000 in additional Measure K funds for the Fair Oaks Library renovation and expansion. The County previously approved Measure A funds to aid the library and its programs in 2013. As part of the Fair Oaks Branch Library renovation, the City is paying for new furniture for the public to enjoy and modifications to existing furniture, as well as a portion of the Farmers Market Truck early childhood learning installation. The Redwood City Library Foundation is funding technology for the new teen space and helping fund other Farmers Market Truck expenses. The last day the Fair Oaks Branch Library will be open before construction begins is January 31. The new renovated library is expected to reopen in early June 2018, in anticipation of the Library’s Summer Learning Challenge. During construction, some library services will be available in the Fair Oaks Community Center. Extended checkout begins January 25, so that materials borrowed in the final week before renovations will not be due until the June reopening.
The temporary Fair Oaks Library location within the Fair Oaks Community Center will be installed from February 1 to 4. Library patrons are encouraged in this interim to visit the Downtown Library for library services.
The following library services will be available in the Fair Oaks Community Center temporary library at the Fair Oaks Community Center during the renovation period beginning on Monday, February 5:
- Computer and WiFi access
- iPads and WiFi hotspots for checkout
- Ability to pick up library materials placed on hold
- Access to Library staff
- A small collection of materials for browsing including books and DVDs for adults, children, and teens as well as iPads and hotspots
- Returns to the book drop outside the library
Service hours in the temporary library:*
- Monday: 10:00 a.m. — 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday-Thursday: 10:00 a.m. — 7:00 p.m.
- Friday: 10:00 a.m. — 5:00 p.m.
* Please Note: Usual Monday evening and Saturday service will not be available during construction, but will return when we reopen in the renovated library space in June.
Homework Center Hours:
- The Homework Center will be available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 4–7 p.m. in the temporary library facility.
- The Homework Center will not be available at Fair Oaks on Mondays or Thursdays, but homework assistance will be available at the Downtown Library on these days.
We are excited to share the new renovated and expanded Fair Oaks Branch Library with you in June! New services and other items, include:
- New Teen space with brand new technology and furniture.
- Bilingual Farmers Market Truck interactive play area teaches early literacy skills and nutrition.
- New children’s furniture and shelving can be easily moved to create more space for programs and activities including storytimes, English as a Second Language classes, Play & Build programs, and Color Your World programs.
- New comfortable adult seating for studying.
- New carpet and upholstery throughout library.
- More power outlets will be added to table tops for plugging in laptops and phone chargers.
- New smaller ergonomic desk for staff.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask a library staff member or go here. We look forward to celebrating the opening of the renovated Fair Oaks Branch library with the community soon!
For other library locations and hours, go here.