Tell a Friend Thursdays

November 5, 2015

You’ve got a Question, Redwood City has the Answer

Q: I am interested in applying for an open City of Redwood City commission seat. What is the process and where do I go to apply?

A: Board and Committee members add tremendous value to the city’s decision making process. The City currently has two seats open and is actively recruiting members for the Housing and Human Concerns Committee and the Civic Cultural Commission. The deadline to apply for these two open seats is December 9, 2015.

An open house is scheduled for November 30, 2015 from 6–7 pm at City Hall. Join us to learn more about committee membership!

For the recruitment timeline, application process and other details, including committee descriptions, visit:

Q: What’s going on with the Farm Hill Boulevard Improvement pilot project?

A: As part of the Council direction in September following a status update on the Farm Hill Boulevard Improvement pilot project, the City of Redwood City has scheduled a community meeting for November 17, 2015 at Peninsula Covenant Church — Fellowship Hall (3560 Farm Hill Blvd.) The meeting’s purpose is to receive feedback from the community on what is and is not working with the pilot project.

Meeting Schedule
Welcome + Presentation: 6–6:30 pm
Open House: 6:30–7 pm
Report Out: 7:30–8 pm

To provide feedback on the project send an email to

For more details on the project click here.

Q: Is the plan to build solar at Red Morton still in the works?

A: Redwood City is currently in the process of installing rooftop solar panels and a solar carport at the Red Morton Community Center. This will be the City’s first solar project on a municipal facility. The solar panels are expected to take from 8–12 weeks to install and the project will be completed in early 2016. The project will produce approximately 76% of Red Morton Community Center’s consumption and save as much as $342,125 over the 20-year life of the project.

The City Council approved solar power at Red Morton Community Center as part of the Regional Renewable Energy Project (R-REP) on March 23, 2015. The R-REP is organized and led by Alameda County, with 19 Bay Area public agencies participating in this collaborative procurement process for renewable energy. For more about R-REP visit their website.

Q: Will using recycled water to grow veggies lead to increased risk of diseases?

A: Redwood City’s recycled water is approved for irrigation purposes and is safe for adults, children and pets. There have been no documented cases of any ill effects from proper use. Incidental contact with recycled water, such as walking on grass after it has been watered, is safe for adults, children and pets as well.

Recycled water is used for purposes such as agricultural and landscape irrigation, industrial processes, toilet flushing, or replenishing groundwater basins. Redwood City’s recycled water is treated and processed by Silicon Valley Clean Water (SVCW) in southeastern Redwood Shores.

The City’s recycled water program is very popular in the community and widely used. To learn more about the benefits of this free recycled water residential program, visit the city’s recycled water Frequently Asked Questions page.

Q: Is the City of Redwood City, City Hall, and Library closed on Veterans Day?

A: Wednesday, November 11 is Veterans Day, a federal holiday to honor those who have served in the U.S. military. The City of Redwood City administrative offices, recreational facilities, libraries, and public works are closed in observance. (The Veterans Memorial Senior Center will still be open for bingo in the evening.)

In addition, the City’s official municipal calendar is up-to-date and includes closure information.