Reef Investor Q&A with Jehan Chu, Partner at Kenetic Capital and Kinsa Durst, Marketing & Operations at Reef Finance
We had the pleasure of chatting with our investors at Kenetic Capital a leading venture capital firm based in Hong Kong which seeks to invest in the blockchain technology sector.
- Kinsa Durst: Hi there, thank you for joining us today. Why did you decide to invest in Reef Finance at Kenetic?
- Jehan Chu: The Holy Grail of decentralized asset exchange is seamless interoperable movement of assets along the paths of least resistance, and Reef is attempting to address this challenge by building on top of Polkadot. While Polkadot is newly released, it shows great promise and the early projects like Reef will help set the tone and tenor of how Polkadot will be used in it’s early stages. Denko is a very ambitious founder and we are happy to support him on this journey.
- Kinsa: Thanks Jehan. Would also love to know — what is your view on the current DeFi hype cycle?
- Jehan: Defi in its current form has formed a bubble, but one which will help pioneer the second generation of Defi anchored not by pure cryptocurrencies, but by security tokens and digital assets. The market for regulated and real assets is orders of magnitude larger than crypto, and represents the preferred manner of transaction for the world. Security tokens offer the best of both worlds, and the lessons learned in DeFi 1.0 will become the Foundation of Defi 2.0 that ushers in the full transformation of global capital markets. As long time investors in both DeFi and Security Token infrastructure, we are very bullish on DeFi 2.0.
- Kinsa: Great, and what are some of your other portfolio companies?
- Jehan: Kenetic has invested in over 140 companies in its history, and has been fortunate to participate in Ethereum crowdsale, Parity seed round, Polkadot, Akropolis, Securitize, BlockFi and many others. We invest in both equity and tokens, and take an active role in helping founders realize their vision.
- Kinsa: What do you think is the most important ingredient to success as a DeFi project?
- Jehan: Given the sheer pace of innovation in the space, fast execution with an eye to safety and discipline is integral. If you’re too slow, you’re irrelevant, and if you’re too sloppy, you’re toast. Finding that balance to stay on the razor’s edge of innovation and execution is what will define this generation of DeFi founders.
- Kinsa: What do you look for in terms of team experience and background in the companies you invest in?
- Jehan: As we have seen the blow-up of more than a couple DeFi projects and founders, I would say that integrity and character are critical to investing in DeFi. At the end of the day, doing the right thing for the project and the community can be a hard choice to make when the payoff is life changing. Maturity, integrity, and respect for others are what we would hope to see in founders building the future of DeFi.
Powered by Polkadot, Reef integrates both CEXes and DEXes, providing increased liquidity for all cryptocurrency asset traders and managers.
Reef’s core team consists of serial entrepreneurs and blockchain veterans who have tremendous experience and proven track record in finance, cryptography, blockchain, and engineering.
For more information about Reef, or to join our team, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org