5 Things Every Small Business Should Know About Social

If this image overwhelms you, then you need our help.

It goes without saying that social is important. So we’re not going to waste any time reiterating it. You know this.

What we do want to explain is what your small business needs to know about using social.

1. The 80–20 Rule

You know the accounts that spend all day promoting their product? Yeah, don’t be like that. Social media is all about balance. You’ll want to keep the 80–20 rule in mind when approaching social. That mean 80% of the time you should be posting images, blogs, videos, or any other content relevant to your target audience. The other 20% of the time you can focus on promoting your product (without being overly sales-pitchy).

The 80–20 rule is so important because it’s designed to help you build a relationship with your audience. You’re creating trust and positioning yourself as an informative source in your particular niche by focusing more on providing content-rich posts.

2. Quality Over Quantity

A lot of time-strapped businesses may feel overwhelmed because they think it’s a requirement to constantly post across social. The good news is that’s simply not true: pushing out as much social content as possible is not what you should be doing.

Your focus should be figuring out the type of content that your customers (or potential customers) find engaging and sticking with that. The goal should be producing quality over sheer quantity.

3. Be Accessible

Social media is an advantageous form of customer service. Your shouldn’t shy away from responding to customers that tweet you questions. Retweeting positive messages is also a great way to demonstrate value and build an engaged customer base.

Always keep in mind that your business isn’t the only one using social…so are the vast majority of your customers. Interacting with them and providing support across social channels is a very important step in branding yourself as an attentive, helpful business entity.

4. Find Your Best Network

It goes without saying, but just because there’s a plethora of social networks doesn’t mean your business will perform equally well across them. Facebook has traditionally been a beneficial network for small businesses, but everyone’s results will vary.

It may make more sense to determine which networks are most beneficial to your business and focus your efforts on developing your brand on those ones, rather than spread yourself thin across a million different channels.

5. Follow, Follow, Follow

One of the best way to increase your audience and create a more robust social network is to follow relevant users and accounts. If you’re following people in your niche, then it’s fairly likely they’ll follow back. This is a great way to build up a worthwhile audience and get on the radar of people that are likely to WANT to connect with you.

Be sure to check out who’s following your competitors and who’s posting about things related to your business niche. If you know your audience, you can also sift through large accounts that may be relevant to their interests and start following that larger account’s followers. All’s fair in love and marketing, after all.

Ready to get started? Great! But in reality, this quick guide is only scratching the surface. If you want to make sure you know the 5 Biggest Social Media Mistakes Businesses Need To Avoid then feel free to check out Coffee Time!