Starting a Refill Scheme
Join a growing community of individuals and organisation who are leading the way to cut back on single-use plastics by starting a local Refill Scheme.
Refill Schemes are key to the success of Refill. They empower their local communities to take action against single use plastics by signing up business to the Refill app, getting the Refill sticker in windows, encouraging people to carry a reusable water bottle, and hosting local events to raise awareness. Another huge part of heading a scheme is all about being agents for change. One of the biggest barriers to get people refilling is what we considered socially acceptable. By starting conversations in your community and collaborating with like minded organisations, we’re beginning to see that change take place.
If you’re thinking about starting a Refill Scheme, read the info below to find out what’s involved and how to get started
What we expect from Refill Schemes
- Bring together a team that will help you run a successful Refill Scheme.
- Sign up local businesses (cafes, galleries, banks etc) as Refill Stations to the Refill app or by using the online form.
- Getting stickers in windows so people know they’re welcome to refill.
- Promote your scheme locally with events such as ‘action days’ or a scheme launch event. Use appropriate channels such as social media or community forums.
- Sign a simple agreement with City to Sea that will outline basic expectations including the area or region your scheme will serve.
- Keep in touch with your Regional Coordinator.
With a growing number of Schemes, you should first check that there isn’t already a scheme in your area. You can do this by checking the Refill Scheme map on the website.
We also acknowledge that each scheme may have specific needs. For this reason we have an amazing team of Regional Coordinators who provide guidance and support to our Refill Schemes across the country. If you decide to start a scheme they will be your first point of contact to help you get set up, discussing any locally specific challenges.
If you’re unsure who to get in touch with just contact the Regional Coordinator who manages an area closest to you and they’ll be happy to help.
What you can expect from us
- A dedicated Regional Coordinator to support the success of your scheme. Providing essential materials and resources as well as feeding back any needs to the Refill HQ team.
- Refill HQ to help promote your local activity through key channels (newsletter, social media, website).
- You’ll be put on the Refill Scheme map on the website with 25,000+ visitors per month.
If you’re getting excited about the idea of starting a scheme, great!
We’d love to hear from you. All you need to do now is fill out this expression of interest form and one of our Regional Coordinators will be in touch shortly.