1 September 2022
20 Things That Make Me Smile
Although, that list could go on and on, really!
I know I am late to the party, but I am down with the flu since last week. And I had all this FOMO washing over me as I saw the entries pouring in. I didn’t want to be left out.
So I will write, post, and eventually catch up with the others.
You didn’t really believe all that, did you? Hehe!
Still, never to resist a prompt — here I am!
20 things that make me smile
1. The sight of the lady who collects our garbage. She is always so brightly dressed, always smiling, and always has a kind word for me. She even gave me the award for best garbage. True story!
2. The babbling of my neighbor’s kid. Nonstop. Delightful!
3. Teenagers talking just outside my door at 1 am, giggling, whispering, then slowly talking louder. Why my door? Why not their own door right across the landing? Nobody knows. All I can say is I find it amusing. As I catch snippets (some rude people call it eavesdropping), I smile at the thought of their reaction if they knew I was listening.
4. Watching my husband making coffee and humming. A rare occurrence — the coffee making, not the humming.
5. A new leaf in my spider plant.
6. The sight of my naked baby buddhas.
7. Finding dried Champa flowers in my mom’s books. they’re still fragrant, like her memories.
8. A dish that turns out exactly the way I hoped for it.
9. A wonderful comment from a fellow writer.
10. Nancy’s cute (and usually wise) responses in our WhatsApp conversation.
11. Peering into my 24yo son’s ear when he sits next to me and his eye-rolling tolerant attitude that seems to say moms will be moms. What? I can’t help it.
12. Going to the kitchen to do some dishes and finding that half of it is already done.
13. A stack of freshly laundered clothes.
14. A cup of turmeric pepper green tea. Delicious.
15. Closer-to-target fasting blood sugar.
16. Home-delivered groceries.
17. Listening to my playlist and singing along, often careless about the lyrics.
18. The sight of the paper lining my kitchen shelf — I have scribbled on every available inch, sometimes around jars.
19. Recalling my mom’s jokes at odd times — especially when I am cooking — makes me burst into laughter, followed by tears.
20. the mess my house is in right now, with all of us down with the flu.
21. My BFF’s message, preceded by a long list of profanities.
Thank you ❤
Here are all the prompts for the 30-day Challenge at Refresh The Soul. Hop on, dabble and enjoy!
Vidya Sury, Collecting Smiles ❤ Did you smile today?
Help me support underprivileged children via Ko-Fi. Thank you so much!
Subscribe to my daily motivational tip posts on Substack